The New Theatre in Cardiff is holding auditions to find a dog to star in a new tour of 'Legally Blonde The Musical'.
Producers are on the hunt for a four-legged star to perform in the show at the New Theatre from 20 – 25 November this year.
The show stars two dogs in the cast - a Chihuahua called Bruiser and another called Rufus. Bruiser is already cast and will be on the road with the company but producers are auditioning in Cardiff to find a Rufus that will perform at the New Theatre.
Here's what the producers are looking for:
- A British Bulldog or similar: Producers are looking for a British Bulldog as appeared in the film. They are open to other breeds, but they need to have that look about them. Fairly bullish and robust. Cute and fluffy is not what they are looking for here!
- Good temperament: If your dog is relaxed, laid back, good with people and enjoys a good fuss, producers want to hear from you.
- Responsive to commands: Producers say that if your dog responds to ‘come here’, ‘sit’ etc and doesn’t just wander off doing its own thing, then they could be exactly what producers are looking for. They do not expect ‘Rufus’ to perform tricks.
- Tricks: Whilst producers do not expect tricks, if your lovable brute has any, they would love to see them. They have five minutes to show producers what they’ve got. If their skills are good enough producers could end up using them in the show!
- Experience not essential: If your dog has some form of stage experience it will be a huge bonus. Even the most confident of dogs can suddenly be affected by the lights, the band and the huge round of applause they are bound to receive on their big entrance!
The successful mutt will star alongside Wales’ very own Lucie Jones, the EastEnders star Rita Simons and Bill Ward from Coronation Street and Emmerdale.
Based on the Reese Witherspoon film, Legally Blonde The Musical earned seven Tony nominations and 10 Drama Desk Award nominations during its Broadway run. In the UK it was nominated for five Laurence Olivier Awards winning three including Best New Musical, and for eight Whatsonstage Awards winning four including Best Musical.
Limited audition slots are available place in Cardiff next week and people need to get in touch with the producers in advance if they want their pampered pooch considered for the role, via email to Associate Director David Barrett at email@example.com.