1. ITV Report

Seventh person arrested in Parsons Green terror investigation

A seventh man has been arrested in Cardiff by officers investigating the Parsons Green terror attack.

The 20-year-old was arrested at an address in the Roath area of the city at approximately 06:00, under section 41 of the Terrorism Act.

He has been taken to a south London police station where he remains in custody.

Credit: ITV News

The arrests were carried out by officers from the Met's Counter Terrorism Command, supported by colleagues from the Welsh Extremism and Counter Terrorism Unit (WECTU) and South Wales Police.

Credit: ITV News

Wales and all the Welsh forces stand together in support of the investigation ongoing in London regarding the Parson Green attack.

That investigation continues to move at a fast pace and we continue to encourage the public and communities to support our effort in keeping Wales and the UK safe by reporting matters of concern.

These recent arrests in Wales should not alarm the public but remind them to continue to be vigilant.

– Detective Superintendent Lee Porter, head of the Wales Extremism and Counter Terrorism Unit
Credit: PA Images

So far, seven people have been arrested as part of the investigation;

  • one person has been charged in relation to the attack
  • three people remain in police custody
  • three people have been released with no further action.

Ahmed Hassan, aged 18, of Cavendish Road in Sunbury, Surrey, has been charged with attempted murder and causing an explosion with intent to endanger life.

He was remanded in custody to appear at the Old Bailey on 13 October.

Along with the 20-year-old man, a 25-year-old man, and a 30-year-old man also remain in police custody under section 41 of the Terrorism Act in connection with the investigation after being arrested in Newport last week.

A 17-year-old male arrested on 21 September was released from police custody with no further action on Friday.

Two men – aged 48 and 21 have been released from police custody on Thursday, 21 September, with no further action.

Searches are ongoing at one address in Surrey and one address in Cardiff.

The Metropolitan Police confirmed other addresses in Surrey, Hounslow and Newport have all been completed.

More on this story