Firefighters are warning residents of the dangers of fireworks following a fire in Cefn Mawr this morning.
Firefighters from Llangollen and Wrexham attended the incident on Heol y Plas, Cefn Mawr, Wrexham.
A man and a woman, together with three children aged eight, four and one were in the property at the time of the fire but managed to escape without injury.
The fire was caused by a firework that was lit inside the property, which resulted in the kitchen being completely destroyed, severe smoke damage to the rest of the ground floor and light smoke damage to the first floor.
The Firework Safety Code:
- Only buy fireworks marked CE.
- Don't drink alcohol if setting off fireworks.
- Keep fireworks in a closed box.
- Follow the instructions on each firework.
- Light at arm's length, using a taper.
- Stand well back.
- Never go near a firework that has been lit. Even if it hasn't gone off, it could still explode.
- Never put fireworks in your pocket or throw them.
- Always supervise children around fireworks.
- Light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves.
- Never give sparkles to a child under five.
- Keep pets indoors.