Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Fire in Cardiff high-rise flat causes mass evacuation

The fire broke out on one of the floors at Landmark Place in Cardiff. Credit: Google Street View

Hundreds of residents living in a high-rise block of flats had to be evacuated in Cardiff in the early hours of this morning after a fire broke out in one of the apartments.

South Wales Fire and Rescue service were called to the scene at Landmark Place in Churchill way around 2am this morning.

A large scale operation was carried out by fire and rescue teams, with 40 firefighters being deployed to the scene and thermal imaging cameras being used.

South Wales Fire and Rescue has confirmed the blaze on the 17th floor of the building was caused 'by the inappropriate use of smoking materials' but said there were no known injuries or casualties.

A spokesperson for the service has issued a safety warning following the incident reminding people to ensure they have a escape plan from their home incase of a fire, including those living in flats.