Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Wales has the most people living in poverty in the UK, says Oxfam

Credit: PA

Oxfam Cymru are appealing to the Welsh Government to do their bit in ending global inequality.

In Wales they say the wealthiest 16% of people have as much money as the other 84%.

Oxfam Cymru says Wales has more people living in relative poverty than any other UK country.

They also say the "low wage economy" here disproportionately affects women.

They want the Government to commit to the Living Wage for all their employees, workers in all companies contracted by them, and those in public bodies.

23.5%
of people in Wales are living in relative poverty.

Here in Wales, nearly a quarter (24.9%) of workers are paid less than the voluntary Living Wage of £8.75 an hour based on the cost of living, and women in part-time role employment represent 63% of all women earning less than this Living Wage.

For work to be a genuine route out of poverty we need to ensure that ordinary workers across the globe receive a Living Wage and can insist on decent conditions, and that women are not discriminated against. If that means less for the already wealthy then that is a price that we - and they - should be willing to pay.

What can be done in Wales? We believe the Welsh Government should take strong action on low pay and commit to paying the Living Wage to all their staff, both within government and workers in those companies that provide services to the Government. They could also ensure all public bodies in Wales become Living Wage employers. These steps, alongside public investment in childcare would even it up for women and help reduce inequality in Wales.

– Kirsty Davies-Warner, Head of Oxfam Cymru
Credit: PA

The Welsh Government is committed to creating prosperity for all and ensuring fair work is available to everyone in Wales. All directly employed Welsh Government staff are paid the Living Wage, as is the case within NHS Wales, and all staff covered by the common contract in further education.

We've also developed the Code of Practice on Ethical Employment in Supply Chains which supports ethical employment practice and encourages firms to pay employees a fair wage.

We have created the Fair Work Board and published the new Economic Action Plan that introduces a new Economic Contract that will require firms seeking Welsh Government business support to commit to fair work.

– Welsh Government spokesperson