Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Aberfan family devastated after phone charger causes fire at their home

Luckily all members of the family had been out of the house when the blaze started. Credit: BPM Media Wales

A family have been left devastated after a mobile charger caused a fire - completely destroying their home in Aberfan.

Lana, Stuart and their son Cole had been out of the house on Tuesday morning when the blaze started.

It is believed the fire, which has completely destroyed the house’s first floor and badly water damaged the ground floor, was caused by a mobile phone charger in an upstairs bedroom.

The family lost all their belongings after the fire ripped through their home. Credit: BPM Media Wales

The family have now been told they will have to wait a year for their home in Ynysowen Fach to be rebuilt and must move into temporary accommodation in the Gurnos in Merthyr Tydfil .

Ms Matthew, 27, said: “My sister had left the house at about 9.30am and by about 9.40am police phoned her to say the house was on fire.

“The upstairs has completely gone and the downstairs is badly water damaged so nothing is salvageable.”

She added that her sister has been left shaken by the fire.

The family have been told they will have to wait a year for their home to be rebuilt. Credit: BPM Media Wales

Since the fire, the family have been “overwhelmed” by the response of the community.

So far Ms Matthews has received countless donations for her sister’s family including three cookers, a washing machine and TV.

An online fundraising page has also raised more than £1,000 in less than a week after doubling the original target of £500.

A spokesperson for South Wales Fire and Rescue Service said emergency services were called to the house after reports of a fire from a first floor bedroom.