The contest to replace Carwyn Jones is intensifying, even though there are at least five months until he formally stands down as Welsh Labour leader.
Behind the scenes there are concerns that the field is narrowing too quickly and also growing fears at the possibility of there being no women on the ballot paper, something described by one AM as 'unthinkable.'
Finance Secretary Mark Drakeford is the first and only candidate so far to have declared that he's standing although there's speculation that Health Secretary Vaughan Gething will announce his candidacy today or tomorrow.
He's under pressure to declare from members who are alarmed by the swiftness and efficiency of the Drakeford campaign and who worry that that campaign will only benefit from having more than one opponent.
The Drakeford campaign is being led by AMs and senior party figures on the left of the party connected to the organisation Welsh Labour Grassroots which is affiliated to the Jeremy Corbyn-backing Momentum group although his support is said to go much wider than just amongst the traditional left.
However if Mark Drakeford is seen as the left's candidate, Vaughan Gething is likely to be backed by those who'd be considered on the right of moderate wing, often referred to by the name of the grouping and magazine Progress.
And that's at least one reason why some want a bigger range of candidates, so that the contest can't be caricatured as 'Momentum versus Progress.'
Labour AMs Lee Waters and Hannah Blythyn have both spoken publicly of the need for a full contest rather than a coronation or even a two-horse race.
And Aberavon AM David Rees has written to the Labour group setting out the same view. I've obtained a copy of his email in which he says that the party needs to have 'the widest possible debate...with a diverse range of candidates.'
He says there needs to be several candidates when the contest formally begins in September and he urges his colleagues not to say who they'll be nominating until after the summer, so that a wide ranging debate can be held.
I can also report increasing concerns about the prospect that there might not be a woman on the ballot paper in the autumn.
The Merthyr AM Dawn Bowden told me in Monday's Sharp End that such a situation would be 'unthinkable' in 2018.
However it's thought the only woman still thinking about launching a bid is Eluned Morgan although she hasn't yet said anything publicly.
A petition has appeared online which now has nearly 300 signatures urging Labour AMs to ensure she's one of the candidates.
Those behind the petition say it's time to change the fact that Wales 'is unique in that it has never elected a woman leader.'
As General Secretary of Welsh Labour when the Assembly began, Anita Gale was involved in efforts that were often controversial at the time to ensure an equal number of female candidates were selected to stand for the new institution.
Now Baroness Gale has told me 'it would be really appalling' if there's no woman on the ballot paper. She's making no secret that she would prefer Eluned Morgan to stand but more importantly she says there should not be an all-male contest.
Others who are still considering whether or not to stand are said to be Ken Skates, Jeremy Miles and Alun Davies.
There are a lot of conversations, a lot of calculations and several conflicting dynamics at work in this leadership contest which is already making things tricky with half a year to go until it's resolved.