A swan had to be put down after it was shot in the head with a pellet gun.
The severely-injured bird was found by a member of the public in Hay-on-Wye at Monks Pond between Glasbury and Painscastle yesterday morning. It was taken to a vets where x-rays revealed it had been shot 21 times in the head with what police believe was a pellet gun. The extent of the swan's injuries meant it had to be put down.
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact Dyfed Powys Police on 101.
An injured seal pup rescued in the Conwy area on November 1st is set to be released back into the wild early next year.Read the full story ›
Six guinea pigs, including four babies, have been found dumped in a park.Read the full story ›
A rare sea turtle found washed up on a chilly Welsh beach is said to be making a good recovery.Read the full story ›
A young black backed gull has been rescued after being found caught up in fishing line and with a hook through its beak.Read the full story ›
An abandoned dog has had a makeover after being rescued from the streets - and been transformed into a pretty pampered pooch.Read the full story ›
A man has been disqualified from keeping horses for a decade after pleading guilty to three counts of causing them unnecessary suffering.Read the full story ›
The RSPCA says they're 'deeply concerned' after two further cat poisonings were reported in the south Wales area.
One cat has died and another has been battling for his life after being poisoned with anti-freeze in the Caerphilly area.
The first - named Oliver had to be put to sleep on veterinary advice, whilst the second, Oscar, has been undergoing treatment. The reports follow recent news of two fatal cat poisonings in the Pontyclun area in early November, another Caerphilly cat subject to a suspected poisoning near its Heol Y Ddol home in October, and the suspected poisoning of a white-and-grey tabby cat in Blackwood in September.
The charity is appealing for information and urging pet owners to be vigilant.
This is another hugely worrying, and sad report of a cat poisoning in the South Wales area, and our thoughts are with the owner at this time. We just hope Oscar, her other cat, can pull through. It is not known if the cats were poisoned deliberately or whether these incidents were a tragic accident, but given the number of recent incidents locally, it is vital cat owners are vigilant. Anyone who suspects their cat may have been poisoned should stay calm, remove their pet from the source of poison, contact their vet immediately, and follow their advice.
Symptoms of poisoning can include a cat vomiting, seeming depressed or sleepy, appearing drunk and uncoordinated, seizures and having difficulty breathing - and owners have been urged to be vigilant at this time.
We are absolutely devastated to have lost Oliver in these circumstances, and things have been touch and go for Oscar. We have no idea how they consumed the poison. After our shocking ordeal, we just hope the message can get out to other local cat owners to be vigilant, and for anyone using anti-freeze to ensure that it is put away appropriately.
A rare sea turtle found washed up on a beach on Anglesey is believed to be the first of its kind seen on UK shores since records began.Read the full story ›
Almost 100 puppies were rescued at Holyhead Port as part of an operation tackling illegal animal importation.Read the full story ›