Live updates

Swan put down after being shot over 20 times in head

The swan was shot 21 times in the head with a pellet gun. Credit: Dyfed Powys Police

A swan had to be put down after it was shot in the head with a pellet gun.

The severely-injured bird was found by a member of the public in Hay-on-Wye at Monks Pond between Glasbury and Painscastle yesterday morning. It was taken to a vets where x-rays revealed it had been shot 21 times in the head with what police believe was a pellet gun. The extent of the swan's injuries meant it had to be put down.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact Dyfed Powys Police on 101.

Advertisement

Advertisement

RSPCA 'deeply concerned' after more cats poisoned in south Wales

The RSPCA says they're 'deeply concerned' after two further cat poisonings were reported in the south Wales area.

Oliver had to be put to sleep on veterinary advice after being poisoned with anti-freeze. Credit: RSPCA Cymru

One cat has died and another has been battling for his life after being poisoned with anti-freeze in the Caerphilly area.

The first - named Oliver had to be put to sleep on veterinary advice, whilst the second, Oscar, has been undergoing treatment. The reports follow recent news of two fatal cat poisonings in the Pontyclun area in early November, another Caerphilly cat subject to a suspected poisoning near its Heol Y Ddol home in October, and the suspected poisoning of a white-and-grey tabby cat in Blackwood in September.

The charity is appealing for information and urging pet owners to be vigilant.

This is another hugely worrying, and sad report of a cat poisoning in the South Wales area, and our thoughts are with the owner at this time. We just hope Oscar, her other cat, can pull through. It is not known if the cats were poisoned deliberately or whether these incidents were a tragic accident, but given the number of recent incidents locally, it is vital cat owners are vigilant. Anyone who suspects their cat may have been poisoned should stay calm, remove their pet from the source of poison, contact their vet immediately, and follow their advice.

– Sophie Daniels, RSPCA inspector

Symptoms of poisoning can include a cat vomiting, seeming depressed or sleepy, appearing drunk and uncoordinated, seizures and having difficulty breathing - and owners have been urged to be vigilant at this time.

We are absolutely devastated to have lost Oliver in these circumstances, and things have been touch and go for Oscar. We have no idea how they consumed the poison. After our shocking ordeal, we just hope the message can get out to other local cat owners to be vigilant, and for anyone using anti-freeze to ensure that it is put away appropriately.

– Lona Grey, Cat owner
Load more updates