Live updates

New airline will take over route on Monday says Welsh Government

The Welsh Government has just announced that a new airline, Citywing, will take over the Cardiff-Anglesey route on Monday

The provider of the Intra Wales Service withdrew their service without notice today, but we have secured an alternative carrier to enable the service to continue without interruption.

– Welsh Government spokesperson

Cardiff-Anglesey flights suspended

Links Air's safety licence was suspended last October Credit: Links Air

The Cardiff-Anglesey air service has been grounded for at least two weeks. The twice-daily flights receive a £1.2 million annual subsidy from the Welsh Government but the airline, Links Air, had its safety licence suspended by the Civil Aviation Authority last October.

Since then, Links Air has sub-contracted the service to another operator but the Welsh Government is now expected to seek a deal with a new airline.

This announcement highlights the absolute shambles at the heart of the Welsh Labour Government ... to suspend the route without having secured a replacement operator puts the long term sustainability of the route under a cloud.

– Welsh Conservative Leader Andrew RT Davies AM

Advertisement

MPs to debate future of Britain's steel industry

Credit: ITV News

MP's will meet in the House of Commons today to debate the future of Britain's steel industry.

It comes in the week more than 1,000 job losses were announced mainly at the Port Talbot steelworks.

A task force met for the first time yesterday to discuss the future of the 750 workers who will lose their jobs at the Tata steel works in Port Talbot.

Port Talbot steelworks can survive and thrive, agrees task force

The taskforce was set up to draw up an action plan for workers after Tata Steel's announcement. Credit: ITV Wales

The need to retrain and re-skill steelworkers dominated the first meeting of the task force to set up in the wake of Tata Steel's job loss announcement.

Union representatives stressed that the redundancies are still proposals at present rather than actual job losses. During the meeting at the Senedd this afternoon, there was discussion of how demand for Welsh steel could be increased through an early start on projects such as the Swansea tidal lagoon. All those in attendance agreed that Tata's biggest British plan still has a long-term future.

The investment in the blast furnace three years ago is a 15 to 20 year investment, so the company has put its money where its mouth is. What the company is asking for now is simply a level playing field.

– Stuart Wilkie, Tata Steel

The Welsh Government says UK ministers need to do more about high energy costs and cheap Chinese imports. Those are issues where the UK Government in turn is saying that the EU needs to act.

Advertisement

Task force will discuss future of Tata Steel workers

People living and working in Port Talbot say the news has hit the area really hard. Credit: PA Images

A task force is meeting for the first time today to discuss the future of the 750 workers who will lose their jobs at the Tata Steel works in Port Talbot.

The steel giant announced it would be cutting more than 1,000 jobs from its operations across the UK on Monday.

It says the losses are part of cost-saving proposals to 'improve the competitiveness' of its UK business.

Port Talbot union reps call mass meeting to talk job cuts

Tata Steel confirmed it is to cut 1,050 jobs across the UK yesterday including 750 in Port Talbot. Credit: ITV Wales

Union representatives from Port Talbot's steelworks are holding a mass meeting later.

After days of speculation, Tata Steel confirmed yesterday that it is cutting 1,050 jobs at sites across the UK including 750 at Port Talbot and Llanwern, in Newport, and 300 at other plants including a small number at Trostre.

Read more: Tata confirms Port Talbot job losses

Tonight's meeting will be help at the Tata Sports Club at 5pm.

Load more updates