Newport Gwent Dragons have announced they've completed the signing of tight head prop Shaun Knight from Gloucester.
25-year-old Knight will join the region this week as they continue pre-season preparations.
Knight was a member of England's 2009 and 2010 Junior World Club squads and had a spell with Counties Manukau in New Zealand.
“I am really happy to have signed a contract with Newport Gwent Dragons. I start pre-season training with the squad on Thursday and am excited to know where this new challenge in my career will take me. The opportunity for me to move from Gloucester Rugby was there and after meeting with Kingsley (Jones) and Lyn (Jones), I felt that it was the right time to do so. I know a couple of the front rowers they have at the Region and am looking forward to learning off the experienced props like Boris (Stankovich) and Brok (Harris).”
Since making his Gloucester starting XV debut, off the bench in the 2009/10 season, Knight went on to make more than 60 appearances for the club.
“We look forward to working with Shaun - he has been a regular at Gloucester for a number of seasons but has fallen out of favour. It’s a fresh start for him and a chance to prove himself with us."
The Welsh Rugby Union Board has approved a range of changes to the game in Wales.Read the full story ›
The head of the Welsh FA says the decision of UEFA to allow Cardiff to host the 2017 Champions League Final will have a 'long-lasting' effect on Welsh football.
We believe that staging both the 2017 UEFA Champions League Final and 2017 UEFA Women’s Champions League Final will have a positive and long-lasting effect on Welsh football.
Today’s announcement is the culmination of two years’ of hard work and I’d like to thank all those who’ve helped the FAW fulfil its ambition of staging a UEFA Champions League Final.
Ryan Giggs has praised the qualities of the Millennium Stadium, as the ground is announced as the venue for the 2017 Champions League Final.Read the full story ›
David Cameron says it is 'fantastic news' the Millennium Stadium will play host to the UEFA Champions League Final in 2017.
The Prime Minister added the stadium is 'one of the best sporting venues in Europe', following the announcement by UEFA this morning.
The Champions League Final is recognised as the largest game in club football with an estimated global reach of 400m viewers in over 200 countries.
In 2013, approximately 100,000 German fans came to London to watch the match without tickets, boosting London’s economy by an estimated £44m.
Cardiff has consistently proven its calibre in delivering high profile events on an international stage. Hosting this prestigious fixture is another opportunity for one of Europe’s most exciting capital cities to shine in front of an audience of millions, bringing with it an economic boost that reaches the whole of Wales."
Star footballer Gareth Bale has said how fantastic it would be to be involved in the 2017 Champions League Final in his home city.
It comes moments after Uefa announced the Millennium Stadium will play host to one of football's biggest events.
These are exciting times for Welsh football. It feels like the whole country is behind us as we attempt to reach next year’s UEFA EURO 2016 finals in France.
I know how passionate the Welsh football fans are so it’s great the UEFA Champions League Final is coming to my home city of Cardiff. I loved playing in the UEFA Super Cup last year and it would be fantastic to be involved in front of a packed crowd at such an iconic stadium in 2017.
The First Minister, Carwyn Jones has thanked Uefa for their 'trust' in Wales.
He was reacting to the news that Uefa have confirmed Cardiff will play host to the 2017 Champions League Final.
Thanks to @uefa for its trust in us – our magnificent stadium & capital will be the perfect setting for this fantastic sporting spectacle
Cardiff will host the 2017 Champions League final, UEFA have announced.
Wales’ Millennium Stadium will be the host venue for the top game in European club football, the Champions League Final.Read the full story ›
Newport Gwent Dragons prop Dan Way has retired from rugby with immediate affect as a result of a shoulder injury.
“It’s very disappointing that I have been forced to retire from rugby. I’m grateful for the opportunity and the experiences I have been given during my time at the Region as it’s something that not many people get to do. I would like to thank my family and friends as well as the Dragons staff who have given me great support throughout this difficult time. I also want to thank all of the loyal fans that have made Rodney Parade such a fantastic place to play at. This year the squad are looking really promising especially looking at the youngsters coming through. I wish everyone involved at the Dragons the very best and a good season.”
The 28-year-old has made over 100 appearances for the region since he joined in 2010 and had played for Pontypool, Blackwood and Newport before joining the Dragons.
“This is a tragic loss for us and Dan so close to the new season. We are all devastated for him. Dan has been a late developer growing from match to match; his shoulder injury became all too apparent in the last 6 weeks of the season. He has made a wise choice for his future health and we all wish him well.”