Baby Noah inquest

The coroner at the inquest into the death of a ten-month-old baby says there was a "gross failure" to provide the correct care for him.

Live updates

Midwife's suspension upheld

A suspension order against the midwife heavily criticised for her role at the birth of baby Noah Tyler, who died after suffering brain damage when he was born, will continue. Julie Richards' suspension will be reviewed in three months, a malpractice hearing ruled this morning.

Yesterday, Cardiff coroner Mary Hassell said Ms Richards blamed "gross failure" to provide adequate care for Noah's difficult birth, and subsequent death when he was just 10 months old. Earlier in the inquest proceedings, Ms Richards admitted making "catastrophic mistakes" at the birth.

Health board apologises

I would like to offer our sincerest sympathies and apologies to Noah’s family, who we continue to support in any way we can. We are deeply sorry for what happened to Noah and Mrs Tyler, and this case has made us even more determined to constantly review and improve our services to ensure we provide the excellent care for mums and their babies that they have a right to expect.

We would like to reassure the public that we have thoroughly investigated what happened in this tragic case and have taken a number of clear and decisive actions, including dismissing the midwife involved.

– Paul Hollard, Interim Chief Executive of Cardiff and Vale University Health Board


Noah's father: "No good reason" why our little boy isn't here any more

Hywel Tyler, the father of ten-month-old Noah, who died after suffering brain damage at birth, says that the verdict at his inquest was consistent with what he and his wife Colleen believed all along.

They have recently had a new baby boy, and he says his positive experience on the University Hospital of Wales' maternity ward confirms that "there's a good unit there."


Verdict expected at baby's inquest

An inquest into the death of a baby who suffered brain damage when he was born is due to reach a verdict today. Noah Tyler died 10 months after being deprived of oxygen at his birth, at the University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff, in February 2011.

The proceedings in Cardiff opened two weeks ago, and heard two days of evidence before adjourning. Midwife Julie Richards admitted making "catastrophic mistakes" at the birth.

Midwife dismissed after baby boy starved of oxygen

Noah Tyler died 10 months after suffering irreversible brain damage at the hospital's maternity unit Credit: Wales News Service

An inquest has heard how a baby boy died after being deprived of oxygen when he was born at the University hospital of Wales in Cardiff.

The midwife in charge of his birth has since been dismissed and the hospital has apologised to the family after the pathologist claimed "baby Noah suffered irreversible brain damage due to lack of blood and oxygen around or during birth."

Noah's mother, Colleen, told the inquest how she kept replaying the birth in her head and was 'tortured' by the memory of it.

Noah spent months being treated by specialists at the 1,000-bed hospital. But he showed little signs of progress and he was moved to a children's hospital where he died on December 23 at the age of 10 months.

Mrs Tyler and her husband from Caerphilly are suing the University hospital of Wales in Cardiff for negligence. The inquest, which is due to last two days, is continuing.

Back to top

Latest ITV News reports