'Record' MMR jabs for 2-year-olds

Almost 2,500 doses of MMR have been given in GP surgeries in Wales in the last week, according to Public Health Wales.

Latest ITV News reports

MMR uptake 'at record levels' for two-year-olds

Public Health Wales says not at parts of Wales have reached a 95% target

The number of two-year-olds being given the MMR vaccine in South Wales is "at record levels", Public Health Wales says.

National uptake of the first dose of the vaccine has now reached the 95% target.

The average uptake of the second dose of MMR falls short of the target at 90%, although is considered 'stable'.

The number of reported cases in the measles outbreak centred around Swansea now stands at 1,171.

Measles figures due out

Measles cases in the Swansea area have reached 1,158 Credit: Owen Humphreys/PA Wire

Public Health Wales will publish the latest measles outbreak figures later. On Friday, there were 1,158 confirmed cases in the Swansea area.

Health chiefs are warning that although the outbreak appears to be slowing, parents should still get their children vaccinated to prevent further outbreaks.

Advertisement

Wales measles outbreak 'is not over yet'

by Rob Osborne, Health Reporter

Clearly the number of new measles cases in the affected area has dramatically slowed down in the last couple of weeks.

Today's figures show the outbreak is not over yet.

Public Health Wales say we should not believe this is the last we will see of measles, and warn we will see large numbers of cases in the future if children remain unvaccinated.

Public Health Wales: 'Get MMR jab over half-term'

Measles infection in the Swansea area are still spreading with 14 news cases since last Friday. Credit: PA

The measles outbreak in Wales remains a concern says Public Health Wales with 1,356 cases of measles reported in Wales since last November.

The number of cases associated with the outbreak centred in the Swansea area have risen by 14 since Friday 24 May.

Young people aged 10 to 18 are being encouraged to use the half term break to catch up on any missed doses of MMR vaccine.

PHW says around 33,000 young people in this age group are still not fully vaccinated.

Dr Brendan Mason, Regional Epidemiologist said, “If children and young people are to enjoy visiting friends, family, events and attractions where they will meet large numbers of other young people, they should go to their GP to get vaccinated first."

He added, "Measles came to Wales from young people visiting such attractions and has spread wherever there have been large gatherings of children."

Unvaccinated children aged between six and 12 months living in or travelling to the outbreak areas of Swansea and Neath Port Talbot or North Powys can have a vaccination at their GP surgery.

Measles figures due following MMR clinics cessation

A red-brown rash is one of the main symptoms of measles Credit: Public Health Wales

The latest measles figures are due out this afternoon following the cessation of MMR clinics and school vaccination sessions.

Figures released by Public Health Wales on Thursday revealed there have been 1,336 confirmed cases of the virus across Wales since November.

The last of the drop-in clinics were held over the weekend and school vaccination sessions ended on Friday, but the MMR vaccine remains available through GP surgeries. Over 60,000 people in Wales have now received the jab.

Advertisement

MMR drop-in clinics to be held in Powys

MMR vaccination kit
Further MMR drop-in clinics will are being held in Powys this weekend Credit: PA

Drop-in sessions for measles vaccinations are being held in Powys this weekend. The focus will be on getting children and young people, who may not have receieved two doses of MMR, vaccinated.

Parents are being encouraged to get their children vaccinated amid the continuing measles outbreak across Wales. Anyone born before 1970 is thought likely to already be immune to measles.

'Remain vigilant' against measles

"Despite the largest advertising push of all weekends only 16 people attended our last drop in clinic in Chepstow with a further 189 in Newport last weekend.

"We have been focussing our efforts on our scheduled vaccination programmes (e.g. schools) this week, and the MMR vaccination is accessible through GP surgeries. We are continuing close monitoring and will be reviewing the situation at weekly meetings."

– Aneurin Bevan Health Board spokesperson

"Numbers of measles cases being reported are slowing and this is good news. However, measles is still circulating in our community so we need to remain vigilant and keep going with our MMR programme. The importance of everyone having two MMRs, especially school age children, is still our priority."

– Dr. Sara Hayes, director of public health, Abertawe Bro Morgannwg

'Concern' at measles risk for thousands of youngsters

We are delighted to see that thanks to the efforts of health board staff and the efforts of parents, the number vaccinated with MMR has now passed 60,000.

This will undoubtedly have helped to reduce the length and severity of the current outbreak – but we remain concerned for the 33,000 children aged 10 to 18 who remain unvaccinated.

There will always be the possibility of measles outbreaks elsewhere in Wales until we reduce the numbers of unvaccinated people. If your child has missed one or both doses of MMR, do not be complacent – take action now.

– Dr Marion Lyons, Director of Health Protection for Public Health Wales
Load more updates