- 17 updates
A young father who died in the South Wales measles epidemic failed to have an inoculation as a child, an inquest has heard. Dad-of-one Gareth Colfer-Williams, 25, was among more than 1,200 infected by measles in the outbreak but the only one to die.
An inquest heard how Gareth was found dead at his home in Port Tennant, Swansea, by family members - days after being sent home by doctors. Swansea Coroner's Court heard he had visited the doctors complaining of a rash all over his body.
But he was told to go home and take paracetamol - even though he had not had the MMR jab in his life. Coroner Philip Rogers said his partner reported he had a high temperature and rash all over his body and was suffering hallucinations.
"Somebody stayed up until about 3.30am and then at 7.45am the same day that family member returned and found him dead on the sofa. An ambulance was called but unfortunately nothing could be done. Swansea was in a measles epidemic and his death was due to natural causes, " said Mr Rogers.
Unemployed Mr Colfer-Williams lived in Port Tennant, Swansea, with his fiancee Cairo Oneim and their four-year-old daughter Dakota. Gareth was concerned about his daughter and made sure she had the jab but failed to have himself immunised.
Pathologist Dr Maurizio Brotto said Gareth was "very underweight" at just 7st 7lbs and that he died from giant cell pneumonia caused by measles. The inquest heard that Gareth had suffered from alcohol problems and two weeks before he had gone into detox leaving his body vulnerable.
A verdict of natural death was recorded following Gareth's death in April. Speaking after the case his mother Angela Colfer said: "He was a wonderful son and a wonderful father, uncle and brother. Cairo and Dakota are having a terrible time. They are devastated."
An inquest into the death of Gareth Colfer-Williams is due to be opened and adjourned today.
The 25-year-old father-of-one was found dead in his flat in the Port Tennant area of Swansea on April 18th.
Public Health Wales have confirmed that initial tests showed he had measles when he died, but that it was not confirmed if measles was the cause of his death.
Further tests are being carried out over the next few weeks.
Swansea Coroner's Office has told ITV News that further tests will now be carried out on Gareth Colfer-Williams, which are expected to take six to eight weeks.
His family have raised questions about the medical care he received in the days before his death.
The results of a post-mortem examination on a man who had measles when he died were "inconclusive", Swansea Coroner's Office has said.
An inquest into Gareth Colfer-Williams' death is due to be opened next Tuesday.
Public Health Wales said last week that initial tests showed he had measles when he died, but that it was not confirmed if measles was the cause of his death.
83 people have now been hospitalised since the outbreak started, but Mr Colfer-Williams is the only suspected death.
The grieving family of a Swansea man who died while suffering from measles is still waiting to hear exactly what caused his death.
A post-mortem examination was due to be carried out today on the body of Gareth Colfer-Williams, a young father who died last week.
It comes as his family raise questions about the medical care he received in the days before his death.
A Swansea family has told ITV News of their despair following the death of a young father from Port Tennant.
The cause of 25-year-old Gareth Williams' death has not yet been established, but tests have confirmed he had measles when he died.
Now his mother and sisters are calling for people to ensure they receive the vaccination - as Megan Boot reports.
The mother of a young man who died during the South Wales measles epidemic has urged people to ensure they are vaccinated against the virus.
The cause of Gareth Williams' death is not yet known, but it has been confirmed that he had the virus.
Angela Colfer says the family are 'destroyed' by the loss of the 25-year-old.
Public Health Wales say that tests on a man who died in Swansea have confirmed that he had measles.
In a statement, they said that the tests only confirmed that "the deceased had measles at the time of his death" but that "further investigations are being undertaken by the Swansea Coroner to establish the cause of death."
Dr Marion Lyons of Public Health Wales says with 20 new cases of measles daily in Wales at the moment a death would not be surprising.
An investigation is underway on Friday to find out if a 25 year-old man from Port Tennant near Swansea died from the virus.
One councillor in Port Tennant near Swansea, Clive Lloyd, told ITV News the local community would rally round following the death of a 25-year-old man.
An investigation is underway to find out if measles was responsible.