Man dies helping sons in sea

69-year-old John Lawrence from Manchester died after getting into trouble in the sea near Rhosneigr, on Anglesey. His sons have now been discharged from hospital after the incident on Friday. North Wales Police is appealing for witnesses.

Live updates

Sons discharged from hospital after father dies in sea

A man who was critically injured after an incident in which his father died, in the sea off Anglesey, has now been discharged from hospital.

North Wales Police has released more information about the incident, near Rhosneigr, on Friday.

69-year-old John Lawrence and his two sons, aged 25 and 20, went into the water at Broad Beach to swim.

The three men - from the Manchester area - got into trouble when the strong undercurrent washed them towards the rocks.

One of the sons was able to get onto the rocks, and rescued by the coastguard.

The two other men were washed out to sea, before they were airlifted to Ysbyty Gwynedd in Bangor.

The father was pronounced dead at hospital. Both sons have now been discharged.

North Wales Police is appealing for witnesses as it investigates what happened.

Police appeal over fatal incident in sea off Anglesey

North Wales Police is appealing for witnesses to an incident in the sea off Anglesey, where one man died and another critically injured.

John Raymond Lawrence went into the water near Rhosneigr on Friday, to help his two sons who had got into trouble in the sea.

One of his sons remains in a critical condition at Ysbyty Gwynedd in Bangor.

Police investigations into what happened are ongoing.

Although we are not treating the incident as suspicious we would urge anyone who was in the area at the time to come forward so that we can get a true picture of the circumstances surrounding the incident.

We are continuing with inquires on behalf of the Coroner and need the assistance of the public. Anyone with details should contact 101.

– Sergeant Andy McGregor, North Wales Police


RNLI video of Rhosneigr rescue

The RNLI has released a video of its part in yesterday's sea rescue near Rhosneigr. Volunteers from Trearddur Bay launched their lifeboat in rising tides and rough seas, after receiving reports of people in trouble in the water.

Two people were winched from the sea by a RAF Sea King helicopter, while the lifeboat was tasked to rescue a further young man who had been washed onto rocks.

The rising tide and rough conditions hindered the rescue attempts and one crew member jumped into the sea to swim to the rocks to help the teenager until the lifeboat could get closer.


Back to top