- 10 updates
The Chief Executive of Newport Council has apologised for not telling councillors when a commemorative mural was due to be demolished.
The Chartist mural was removed from the city last week, to make way for a new shopping centre.
The Council said it had to be taken down at short notice, because the area was unsafe.
Hundreds of people gathered to protest against the demolition of an historic chartist mural in Newport, which the council has removed as part of a shopping centre development. Carole Green reports.
Around 200 protestors have gathered in Newport to voice their anger at the demolition of a mural dedicated to the chartist movement. The artwork was taken down by the council on Thursday as part of a £100m shopping centre development.
The artwork depicted the 1839 Chartist uprising in a subway off John Frost Square and was created in 1978.
Newport residents and members of Wales Green party will be further demonstrating against the removal of the Newport Chartists Mural.
The mosaic artwork was taken down on Thursday to make way for a new multi-million pound shopping area.
Protesters have been asked to wear black as sign of mourning at the loss of the mural.
In a statement Newport City Council says , The removal of the Chartist mural was part of essential pre-demolition work that had to be carried out before the major contract begins at the end of October. The mural was integrally linked to the car park.
The area was fenced off back in July following a survey of the Capitol car park by structural engineers that flagged up that urgent advance works were required for safety reasons to protect the public."
Newport City Council said earlier the mural was in "a very precarious position", attached to the wall "which is extremely unsafe."
"The council has had to take immediate action with regards to pre-demolition preparations and safety precautions. Major demolition work will be starting at the end of this month."
A few dozen protesters have been in Newport city centre to demonstrate, as the demolition of the city's Chartist Mural began.
The council says it "had to take immediate action" because the wall the mural was on was "extremely unsafe."
People in Newport have been expressing their sadness at the demolition of the city's Chartist Mural, commemorating the uprising of 1839.
A demonstration against the decision to remove the mural was due to be held on Saturday, but Newport City Council says it had to act immediately for safety reasons.
The decision was taken in March 2012 to replace Newport's Chartist Mural, as part of the redevelopment of the city centre, with a new 'Friars Walk' shopping complex.
Welsh heritage organisation Cadw decided not to list the mural at national level on grounds of special architectural interest.
Newport City Council says it is "committed to commissioning an alternative solution to commemorate the Chartist movement and will be consulting with the public on the nature of this different form of celebration shortly."
"The council would like the new commemoration to celebrate the Chartist movement to be in a more accessible location which can be enjoyed by residents and visitors alike, as well as enhancing the historical connection between Newport and the Chartist movement."
Newport City Council says it "had to take immediate action" in beginning to remove the Chartist Mural in the city centre, two days before a planned protest against its demolition, for safety reasons.
The controversial demolition of an historic artwork in Newport has begun today.
The mural commemorates the 1839 Chartist uprising.
It is a mosaic of 200,000 pieces of tile and glass, in a subway off John Frost Square - named after the rebellion's leader.
The demolition has begun two days before campaigners plan to stage a demonstration against its removal in the city centre.
It is being pulled down to make way for a new shopping centre.
Thousands of people signed a petition to save it.
Newport City Council has said the cost of moving the mural is not economically viable.