North Wales Police join search for missing Arthur

Officers from North Wales Police have joined Greek authorities in Crete in their efforts to locate 73-year-old Robert ‘Arthur’ Jones who is missing on the island. The 73-year-old has not been seen since June 19.

Police fly home after helping in search for missing man

The team from North Wales Police which has been assisting the Greek authorities with their search for Arthur Jones are due to return home today.

Detective Chief inspector Gareth Evans, Missing Person Co-ordinator Mark Owen, both of North Wales Police, and Phil Benbow, Chair of the North Wales Mountain Rescue Association, have been in Crete since last Sunday.

73-year-old Mr Jones from Denbigh has been missing since June 18.

They have been working with the local authorities to maximise the opportunities to find Mr Jones who has been missing since June 18.

"We are pleased to have been able to provide support to the Greek authorities and also to Mr Jones' family who have been on the island. We will continue to support the family and we will remain in close contact with the authorities in Crete", said Superintendent Steve Williams.

Read More: North Wales Police join search for missing Arthur

Search for missing Arthur Jones continues

Police have released an image of the visitor's book at the Souda Bay Cemetery, in the hope someone may have seen or spoken to Arthur Credit: North Wales Police

Police from North Wales who are appealing for help in the search of missing Denbigh man Arthur Jones, say they're looking for any tourists who might have been on holiday in Crete around the time he disappeared.

In particular they're asking those who visited the Souda Bay Cemetary on June 18th to come forward.

A visitor's book shows that the missing man, who's 73, visited the World War 2 Cemetery on this date.

The book shows a number of other British and Welsh visitors, who may have seen Mr Jones.

Superintendent Steve Williams said:

"We know that Arthur has attended there on June 18th, probably around the early morning time. The visitor's book shows that there were a number of British people there on the same day."

"Is your name on this visitors list or do you know anyone who has signed their name in the book? Our hope is that someone remembers seeing or even speaking to him."

"I would also ask that if anyone took photographs there to check whether Arthur is in the background as it may identify the clothing he was wearing."

Arthur Jones has failed to make contact with his family and friends since June 18th.

Advertisement

North Wales police fly to Crete to help find Arthur

Officers from North Wales Police are travelling to Crete today to assist Greek authorities in their search for Robert 'Arthur' Jones. The 73 year old hasn't made contact with his family and friends since June 18th. Whilst in Crete the officers will also continue to offer support to his family:

"We are pleased to be able to provide support to the Greek authorities and will be sending officers who have vast experience in dealing with missing person inquiries and searches."

– Deputy Chief Constable Gareth Pritchard

The officers will meet up with representatives from the Consulate, Foreign and Commonwealth Office and the Head of the Chania Police

North Wales Police to fly to Crete to help search for Arthur Jones

Officers from North Wales Police are to travel to Crete to help in the search for missing 73-year-old Arthur Jones.

Mr Jones, from Denbigh, was staying in the city of Chania, but has not been seen since June 19.

More: Arthur Jones' family walk Crete routes in bid to find him

Mr Jones was staying in the city of Chania

"We are pleased to be able to provide support to the Greek authorities and will be sending officers who have vast experience in dealing with missing person inquiries and searches" said Deputy Chief Constable Gareth Pritchard.

Earlier this week the force appealing for information from anyone who might have seen Mr Jones while on holiday or who had travelled to the island between June 17 and 24th.

Arthur Jones' family walk Crete routes in bid to find him

The son of a Denbigh pensioner missing in Crete says they have been walking routes he may have taken in a bid to find him.

Arthur Jones has not been seen since June 19

More: Arthur Jones' son speaks to ITV News

73-year-old Arthur Jones was staying in the city of Chania, but has not been seen since June 19.

His son Jeff told ITV News much of his father's walking equipment is still in his room.

"I think a lot of people think a 73-year-old man... they sort of expect him to not be very physical, that sort of thing" he said.

"So just to get it out there that he was very fit, he would've been walking along wherever really. I mean that's the problem, we don't know."

Advertisement

Relatives of missing Arthur Jones to fly to Greece

Relatives of a Denbigh pensioner who's been missing in Greece for over a week are preparing to fly out there.

Keen walker Arthur Jones from Denbigh went missing whilst on holiday in Crete. Now special missing person alerts featuring Arthur will be shown on Greek television.

"You're looking at your watch and thinking... where would he be now?" said son Jeff Jones.

"They're two hours ahead over there so you've always got that in your mind".

More: Concern grows for Denbigh pensioner missing in Crete

Concern grows for Denbigh pensioner missing in Crete

Denbigh pensioner Arthur Jones has been missing for a week in Crete Credit: Family

Concern is growing for a North Wales pensioner who has been missing for a week on the holiday island of Crete.

Arthur Jones, 73, arrived at the Pardalakis apartments in Chania on Tuesday 17th June. He was last seen on Thursday 19th June.

Relatives said Mr Jones, from Denbigh, was a keen walker and may have gone hiking in the hills.

His son Jeff said the hotel he was staying at became concerned when he didn’t turn up for his airport transfer and discovered his room hadn’t been slept in since Thursday.

The Foreign Office has been informed of the disappearance of Mr Jones, who was on his own.