- 2 updates
The Welsh Ambulance Service is encouraging people to choose the appropriate service for their healthcare needs after more than 31,000 non-urgent calls were received in the last year.
The calls included:
- A man who dialled 999 because he had a fly in his ear (Milford Haven, June 2014)
- A woman who had eaten cherries and felt constipated (Porth, August 2013)
- A man who had discovered a bruise on his foot (Tywyn, November 2013)
- A woman who asked whether the green part of a potato was poisonous (Bangor, November 2013)
- A man with a ring stuck on his finger (Burry Port, June 2014)
- A woman whose boiler had broken and had no credit to call the gas board (Swansea, October 2013)
- A woman who dropped a television remote and needed someone to pick it up (Llandudno, December 2013)
- A woman who didn't have enough money to buy a train ticket (Newport, March 2014)
- A man with a cotton bud stuck in his ear (Bridgend, August 2013)
- A mother whose daughter had drunk water from a dog bowl (Swansea, December 2013)
- A woman who was intoxicated and needed a lift home (St Asaph, April 2014)
- A woman who needed advice because she had fallen out with her brother (Hereford,November 2013)
- A man with blisters on his foot(Penmaenmawr, January 2014)
- A woman with a cast on her leg and wanted it taken off (Tredegar, January 2014)
The Welsh Ambulance Service is reminding people not to call 999 unless it is a genuine emergency.
The service says it took 31,219 non-urgent calls in the last 12 months alone.
Of those calls, only 670 required an ambulance, and just three needed a patient to be taken to hospital.
They included a woman who dialled 999 to ask if the green part of a potato was poisonous, and a caller whose daughter had drunk water from a dog's bowl.
The Welsh Ambulance Service says it's working hard to reduce unnecessary hospital admissions, and support care close to patient's homes.