Football club admits safety breach after boy's death

Barristers for Caersws Football Club have pleaded guilty to a health and safety breach after the death of 12-year-old Casey Breese in July 2011.

Live updates

Hefty fine 'would have caused Caersws FC to fold'

Judge Niclas Parry, sitting at Mold Crown Court, said under normal circumstances Caersws Football Club could have expected a fine of £65,000 with an order of costs.

But he instead handed down a 12-month conditional discharge after being told that any significant fine would put the historic club, which made an annual loss, out of business.

A nominal fine would not serve any purpose and there was a danger of it being misinterpreted as an insulting figure, he added.

Family of Casey Breese 'happy with court outcome'

A statement on behalf of 12-year-old Casey Breese's family has been read outside Mold Crown Court after Caersws Football Club was sentenced following his death.

In their view, the club’s change of plea represents an acceptance of their involvement with the goals that fell and sadly crushed Casey - and they were happy with the outcome.

Losing Casey has been a terrible blow for the whole family and the outcome today will hopefully allow them to try and move on.

– Prosecuting Solicitor Simon Parrington


Caersws FC sentence 'a reminder to act responsibly'

Powys County Council says the sentencing of Caersws Football Club "should act as a reminder to all clubs that they should act responsibly".

The club admitted a safety breach and was given a conditional discharge following the death of 12-year-old Casey Breese, who was killed by a falling goalpost in July 2011.

This is one of the most tragic cases the council has investigated but we had to pursue this action in the interest of public safety.

Children’s safety is paramount whether they are in playgrounds or in recreational fields and it is vital that sports clubs and organisations ensure the equipment they are responsible for are manufactured to current safety standards and properly anchored down.

Today’s outcome should act as a reminder to all clubs and organisations across Wales and beyond that they should act responsibly and do all that they can to avoid tragic accidents such as this case.

Any club that is unsure of their roles and responsibilities should contact their sporting association for advice and guidance.

– Cllr John Powell, Powys County Council’s Cabinet Member for Environmental Health
  1. Rob Shelley

Caersws FC admits safety breach after boy's death

Casey Breese died when a goalpost fell on top of him in 2011

Barristers for Caersws Football Club have pleaded guilty to a health and safety breach after the death of a 12-year-old boy in July 2011.

Casey Breese was killed when a goalpost on the village's recreation field fell on top of him whilst he was having a kick-about with his friends.

The club admitted one charge of failing to discharge a duty under the Health and Safety at Work Act.

Back to top