Live updates

Investigation after police car crashes into pub

Police are investigating after an unmarked police car crashed into the Bull Hotel in Abergele.

Three police officers were injured in the incident. Credit: Sam Evans

The collision, which took place yesterday afternoon, left three police officers with minor injuries.

Slight damage was caused to the hotel.

Hotel manager Jamie Smith said: "The collision did affect us yesterday and we lost some custom, but we are open for business today and have no plans to close."

Investigating Officers from the Roads Policing Unit are appealing for witnesses to contact North Wales Police on 101, quoting RC 15021992.


Pair jailed after Abergele pub death

Tracey Jones and Anthony Smith Credit: North Wales Police

A pub worker who killed a customer with a ferocious punch has been jailed for life.Anthony Smith will serve a minimum of 16 years in jail after being found guilty of the murder of Sam Blackledge.Mr Blackledge had been drinking at the Pen y Bont pub in Abergele.

Smith and pub manageress Tracey Jones returned from a night out to discover Mr Blackledge was being difficult after being refused a drink.Smith roughly threw him out of the pub where Mr Blackledge was attacked by Smith and Jones. But he was too drunk to defend himself.

Mr Blackledge died two days later from head injuries

Tracey Jones was jailed for two and a half years for manslaughter plus a further nine months for perverting the course of justice after telling witnesses to say Mr Blackledge had not been attacked but had fallen over.

Anthony Smith guilty of murdering Sam Blackledge in Abergele pub attack

A man has been found guilty of murder after a 54-year-old father of two received a fatal punch outside an Abergele pub.

Anthony Smith, 40, of Lon y Gors, Pensarn, Abergele, attacked Sam Blackledge outside the Pen y Bont pub.

Smith's partner, pub manageress Tracey Jones, 47, of Sunray Avenue, Abergele, was convicted of manslaughter.

They were also found guilty at Caernarfon Crown Court of perverting the course of justice by asking witnesses to hide the fact that Mr Blackledge, a widower, had been injured after being assaulted.

Mr Blackledge had received head injuries after being hit with what the prosecution described as an "almighty blow ".

The jury of six women and six men took six hours ten minutes to reach their verdicts.

Judge Merfyn Hughes QC remanded the defendants in custody until they are sentenced on February 10.


Whale rescued from Pensarn beach

A 20ft minke whale stranded for two hours close to Pensarn beach in Abergele this afternoon has been successfully re-floated.

It swam back out to open sea aided by coastguards and RSPCA officers.

Main and inshore lifeboats from Rhyl were also at the scene.

Coastguards waded chest-deep in the sea and gently prodded it away from the beach.

Whale stranded on Abergele beach

A whale has got stuck on the beach at Abergele. Credit: Gerallt Jones

Coastguards and the RSPCA are dealing with a 20ft beached whale at Pensarn, Abergele.

The RSPCA, a coastguard team and Rhyl’s two lifeboats are at the scene.

They hope the whale will float out to sea when the tide turns shortly.

Fresh appeal for information following Abergele death

Paul Blackledge died in hospital following an alleged assault at this pub in Abergele

North Wales Police have made a fresh appeal for information after a man died following an alleged assault at an Abergele pub.

Police say an incident occurred at the Pen-y-Bont Inn on Bridge Street at around 10.30pm on Thursday night.

Paul Blackledge, 54, later died in hospital.

Police say they are keen to speak to anyone who might have witnessed what happened, or anyone who might have driven past the pub at the time.

A man and woman have been charged with manslaughter and remain in custody.

Pub manager and colleague in court

Paul Blackledge died after an incident at the Pen-y-Bont pub on Thursday night.

The manager of a pub in Abergele and a colleague have appeared in court accused of manslaughter.

Tracey Jones, 47, and Anthony Smith, 39, are charged with killing 54-year-old Paul Blackledge.

He was allegedly assaulted outside the Pen-y-Bont pub on Thursday night.

They were remanded in custody to appear at Caernarfon Crown Court on 5 August.

Load more updates