More than 8,000 staff at Elephant and Diamond insurer Admiral have been handed a bumper payout after it secured record full-year profits.
The Cardiff-based insurer said it will give staff free shares worth a total of £3,600 each under an employee share scheme based on the results.
The pay boost comes after rising car insurance premiums helped group pre-tax profits rise 6% to £377 million in 2015.
The Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors has announced its RICS Wales Awards 2015 with the headquarters of insurance company Admiral crowned Project of the Year.
The winners of the eight individual categories are:
- Building Conservation: Bodnant Welsh Food Centre, Conwy.
- Community Benefit: Llangefni Town Hall, Llangefni.
- Design through Innovation: The Hayden Ellis Building, Cardiff.
- Infrastructure: Smart Bridge, Capital Quarter, Cardiff.
- Regeneration: Loudon Square, Cardiff.
- Residential: The Beeches Village, Caerphilly.
- Tourism & Leisure: Coppet Hall, Saundersfoot.
Admiral Group has announced pre tax profits of £370 million for the year to December 2013, an increase of 7 per cent over the previous year.
The insurance firm launched in 1993 and has offices in Cardiff, Swansea and Newport, with over 5,000 employees.
As 2013 gets going, will the New Year bring fresh hope for a change of fortune in our economy? What does the future hold? Our business correspondent Carole Green has been finding how new starters like Sarah Edwards and long-established firms like Admiral see the year ahead.
2 January 1993
- 1 brand
- 57 members of staff
- 0 customers
2 January 2013
- 12 brands
- 4,950 members of staff in South Wales - 6,500 worldwide
- 3 million customers
Welsh insurance company Admiral is marking its 20th anniversary. It launched on 2 January 1993 from its headquarters in Cardiff.
Chief Operating Officer David Stevens is one of 16 members of staff who have been there since the start. He told our Business Correspondent Carole Green that he wants to see the company go on to become 'a success story that's recognised across the globe.'