The family of army reservist Edward Maher have said that it is unacceptable that their son paid for his training 'with his life.'Read the full story ›
L/Cpl Edward Maher, L/Cpl Craig Roberts and Cpl James Dunsby were all part of an SAS reservist test march in the Beacons on July 13, 2013.Read the full story ›
A coroner has ruled that there were gross failings by the Ministry of Defence and that the death of the three soldiers were contributed by neglect.
Coroner rules there were gross failings by MOD and soldiers deaths were contributed by neglect
Coroner now presenting report to prevent future deaths. Says MOD still doesn't have clear plan and guidance on treatment of heat illness
The coroner finished her conclusion at the inquest with a tribute to the three soldiers. She described them as 'exceptionally talented, exceptionally fit' and added that 'all three are still sorely missed.'
The coroner has ruled out unlawful killing after three soldier died whilst on an SAS test march in the Brecon Beacons.
She has also reported that a 'catalogue of very serious mistakes' was made by those involved in the exercise.
Coroner: "there was a catalogue of very serious mistakes made by many people in this exercise" And "systemic failings within organisation"
"It was the actions or in-actions of many that resulted in the soldiers deaths. Therefore not recording ruling of unlawful killing"
Coroner: It was a gross failure not to notice soldiers were static on gps tracker
A coroner at the inquest into the deaths of three soldiers who died whilst on a test march in the Brecon Beacons says the officers in charge 'failed to comply' with army guidelines.
Coroner:Officers in charge (1A&1B) knew one soldier had been withdrawn due to heat illness but failed to comply with army guidelines(JSP539)
Coroner: alarm bells should have been ringing and march should have stopped when soldiers began to withdraw from test with heat illness
Coroner says march should have been stopped at 1214 when first heat casualty was withdrawn and again when two others were withdrawn
A coroner is expected to record verdicts today into the deaths of three army reservists who died after taking part in an SAS march on the Brecon Beacons two years ago.
An inquest had heard that despite the soldiers being incredibly fit, they were 'not adequately conditioned' for the march and that those in charge were unaware of the weather conditions.
Coroner says despite being incredibly fit, the reservists were "not adequately conditioned" for SAS test march
Coroner: those in charge were unaware of weather conditions and failed to carry out dynamic risk assessment as a result
Coroner says there was no prior contact with mountain rescue or any medical plan of how to treat casualties with heat related illness
Craig Roberts' family have arrived at court in Solihull along with James Dunsby's father, David, after a verdict is expected to be recorded into the deaths of the three soldiers following an SAS march.
The coroner, Louise Hunt, is due to give her ruling on the deaths of three soldiers who died after collapsing on an SAS test march in the Brecon Beacons.
Craig Roberts, from Penrhyn Bay, James Dunsby and Edward Maher all died from over heating in July 2013.
The inquest into the deaths of three soldiers who died following a training march in the Brecon Beacons will resume later.
Lance Corporal Craig Roberts from Penrhyn Bay, Lance Corporal Edward Maher, from Winchester and Corporal James Dunsby from Trowbridge, were all taking part in an SAS test march on one of the hottest days of the year in 2013.
Lance Corporal Maher and Lance Corporal Roberts both collapsed and died during the 16-mile march. Corporal Dunsby died from multiple organ failure more than two weeks after the march.
Up to seven other candidates, attempting selection for reserve special forces units, were also treated for the effects of heat, including four who were taken to hospital.
Senior Coroner for Birmingham and Solihull Louise Hunt is expected to record her verdict today.
A verdict is due tomorrow into the inquest into the deaths of three soldiers who collapsed during an SAS test march in 2013.Read the full story ›
An inquest into the deaths of three Army reservists who collapsed during the final stages of an SAS test march will resume next month.Read the full story ›