Live updates

Advertisement

Cardiff Blues decide not to go ahead with WRU takeover

Credit: PA Images

Cardiff Blues Chief Executive Officer Richard Holland says the club will not go through with a WRU takeover.

The Welsh Rugby Union had been in the early stages of talks with the Blues earlier this month over a possible takeover.

Mr Holland said that despite the decision, the Cardiff Blues' relationship with the WRU was 'as strong as ever'.

Following amicable discussions with our governing body, I can now confirm the Cardiff Blues Board have made the unanimous decision not to pursue this option further.

I would like to add however, our relationship with the WRU is as strong as ever and along with Martyn Phillips (WRU CEO) and the other regions' CEOs, we will continue to explore the best way forward for the future of professional rugby in our region and in Wales.

With only five years remaining on the existing lease and the annual costs of maintaining the current facility escalating, the Cardiff Blues Board are resolutely focused on extending the lease and redeveloping Cardiff Arms Park to provide a fit for purpose stadium for both Cardiff Rugby Football Club and Cardiff Blues.

The history and heritage of Cardiff Rugby at Cardiff Arms Park is of paramount importance to the Board and it is essential to protect all elements of this great club and its iconic home.

– Richard Holland, Cardiff Blues Chief Executive Officer

Advertisement

Public urged to be 'extra vigilant' ahead of UEFA Champions League finals in Cardiff

Assistant Chief Constable Richard Lewis of South Wales Police at Tuesday's press conference

South Wales Police says it is is reviewing its current security arrangements and monitoring updates from Greater Manchester Police following the Manchester bombing.

A spokesperson said that while there is "no specific threat to this region", the public are urged to be extra vigilant and to report suspicious incidents.

Assistant Chief Constable Richard Lewis said police visibility will increase in certain areas, such as crowded places and "iconic locations" across the South Wales Police force area.

He added that "detailed safety and security planning and preparation" for the UEFA Champions League finals in June has been happening for months.

Extensive searches and installation of security measures for the Champions League finals have been taking place in Cardiff during the past week and will continue in the run-up to the event.

Access to areas around the stadiums on event days will be extremely limited, and ticket-holders can expect to be subject to rigorous security checks. Measures will also be taken to restrict vehicular access to a number of areas within Cardiff.

– ACC Richard Lewis
Load more updates