Live updates

Advertisement

Inquests into soldiers' deaths after firing range incident to open Friday

An inquest into the deaths of two soldiers who were fatally injured at a firing range will open later this week.

Corporals Matthew Hatfield (L) and Darren Neilson (R) were described as 'exceptionally talented soldiers' Credit: British Army

Corporals Matthew Hatfield and Darren Neilson, both serving with the Wiltshire-based Royal Tank Regiment, died from injuries they suffered at the Castlemartin ranges in Pembrokeshire on 14 June.

The Ministry of Defence said two other soldiers were seriously injured in the incident at the training base, which is used by tanks and armoured units for gunnery exercises.

The inquest into the deaths of Cpl Hatfield and Cpl Neilson, who had both served in Iraq and Afghanistan, will open in Birmingham on Friday.

Soldier injured in Castlemartin incident released from hospital

Two soldiers died from injuries they suffered at Castlemartin firing range on Wednesday Credit: ITV Cymru Wales

A soldier injured in an incident at a military training base in Pembrokeshire where two others died has been released from hospital.

Corporals Matthew Hatfield and Darren Neilson, of the Royal Tank Regiment, died from injuries they suffered at Castlemartin firing range on 14 June, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) said.

One other soldier remains in a serious condition in hospital.

A spokesperson for the MoD said: "Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of all those killed and injured in this terrible incident."

Advertisement

Second soldier dies in Castlemartin incident, MoD confirm

Both soldiers were injured at Castlemartin firing range, in Pembrokeshire Credit: ITV Cymru Wales

A second soldier has died following a 'serious incident' at a military firing range in Pembrokeshire, the Ministry of Defence has confirmed.

Both victims were from the Royal Tank Regiment and were injured at Castlemartin on Wednesday afternoon.

Two people are still being treated for their injuries. A 48-hour worldwide ban was subsequently imposed on the ammunition which had been fired during the fatal training exercise.

Sorry, this content isn't available on your device.

'My thoughts are with all involved' at MoD range, says AM

One soldier has died on Castlemartin range in Pembrokeshire Credit: Gov.uk/Corporal Barry Lloyd RLC

Assembly member for mid and west Wales, Eluned Morgan, says her thoughts are with all those involved in the Castlemartin range incident.

I am extremely sad to hear of this tragedy at Castlemartin. A family is grieving the loss of a loved one today. The families of the three others who have been wounded will be hoping for a positive outcome. When an event such as this occurs it brings home to all of us the dangerous nature of the job that members of our armed forces commit themselves to on a daily basis. My thoughts are with all of those involved at this time.

As the investigation gets underway, I trust that all resources necessary will be provided to ensure events leading up to this tragedy are fully understood and that appropriate measures are taken in future.

– Eluned Morgan AM, Mid and West Wales
Load more updates