Live updates

Storm Doris causes further collapse of Colwyn Bay pier

Storm Doris has caused a further collapse of the derelict Colwyn Bay pier Credit: Conwy County Borough Council

Storm Doris has caused a further collapse of the seaward end of Victoria Pier in Colwyn Bay.

A spokesperson for Conwy council said engineers and health & safety officers are monitoring the area closely and will inspect the structure at low tide, if it is safe to do so.

The derelict pier partially collapsed into the sea earlier this month.

Advertisement

Appeal after a pupil was approached by two men in car

A child was approached by two men on his way to school in Deganwy on Monday morning.

Credit: Google Maps

The nine-year-old was walking to school along Plas Newydd, Deganwy at approximately 8.50am when two men got out and asked him to get into their car.

North Wales Police said he ignored the men and later reported the incident to staff.

It added the men made no attempt to physically get hold of the pupil nor did they pursue him to school and he was unharmed.

Extra ‘high vis’ patrols were deployed this morning following the incident.

Anyone with more information should contact the police by calling 101.

This incident will understandably be of significant concern to the local community and particularly parents and other local schools.

Enquiries are underway to establish the identity of the men and car and the pupil is being further interviewed by specialist officers to obtain a full description of the men and I would ask anyone who can assist to contact Police immediately.

In the meantime I’d like to personally reassure the community that everything possible is being done and increased patrols and a Police presence will continue particularly around school times”

– Kelly Isaacs, Local Inspector at Llandudno Police Station

Advertisement

Partner of John Prescott thankful life saving surgery granted

The partner of John Prescott, who needs a heart transplant, has been speaking about the Welsh NHS' decision to grant him life saving surgery, following a report by ITV Cymru Wales.

John Prescott is currently in intensive care in a hospital in Manchester Credit: ITV Wales

I am absolutely over the moon with the decision being over turned.

This means that John now has his chance to stay alive after being given the news this week that time was not on his side.

It was crucial to have this life saving operation within days.

– Doreen Edwards, John's partner

Prescott, from Conwy, needs a heart transplant after suffering a heart attack 18 months ago.

It damaged his heart so badly that only one side is working properly.

In order for John to be eligible for a heart transplant, he needs a pump - called an LVAD - fitting to his existing heart.

Conwy man receives funding for life-saving operation

Credit: ITV News

A man from Conwy who thought he had just weeks to live has had the decision of the Welsh NHS not to fund a life saving operation reversed.

ITV Wales has been told that John Prescott will get a pump fitted to his heart and NHS Wales will pay. He's due to have an operation this morning.

Man arrested after serious Conwy crash

Credit: PA

A man has been arrested on suspicion of drink driving and causing serious injury by dangerous driving after a single vehicle crash in Dolwen, Conwy on Wednesday night.

Three men, who were travelling in the vehicle, were taken to Ysbyty Glan Clwyd by Ambulance following the incident.

Two are thought to have sustained minor injuries whilst the third has been transferred to Stoke with serious injuries.

The driver of the vehicles remains in police custody.

Load more updates