Alex Chant, before the accident

Renewed appeal over man left for dead

Gwent Police are asking the public again for information on a man attacked and left for dead at the side of the road in 2010.

Live updates

Advice: how to deal with unwanted doorstep callers

Thousands of scams and unwanted doorstep calls were reported throughout Wales in the last year, new figures show. Age Cymru says that could be the tip of the iceberg, with just five per cent of scams reported.

How to stay safe and cope with unwanted callers

The Royal Mail says it works closely with the Advertising Standards Authority, Trading Standards and with the police, to identify and stop scam mail. It has a system for postmen and women to report complaints that they receive from customers so that they can be quickly investigated.

Have you had a bad experience with a doorstep caller? ITV News would like to talk to you. You can contact us on wales@itv.com

Elderly more likely to be scammed on doortstep

Age Cymru says there could be as many as 50,000 scams and unwanted doorstep calls in in Wales a year and many of the victims will be elderly.

It's called on the Welsh Government to create more No Cold Calling Zones.

There are over 1,500 zones covering almost 40,000 residential households in Wales. In our Programme for Government, we made a commitment to supporting the extension of No Cold Calling Zones and we are determined communities should be able to make clear their desire not to be subject to cold calling.

Work to fulfill our commitment so far includes establishing a baseline of the number of zones in Wales and we are continuing to work with the police and local government to help them to create more areas, informed by the experience of the existing zones.

– Welsh Government spokesperson

Advertisement

More 'No Cold Calling Zones' to protect elderly call

Age Cymru says the Welsh Government should create more zones to protect the vulnerable. Credit: carmarthenshire.gov.uk

Thousands of scams and unwanted doorstep calls were reported throughout Wales in the past year says the charity Age Cymru.

It claims at least 1,000 unwanted doorstep calls were reported to Trading Standards plus more than 1,600 mail, phone and internet scams.

The charity, which campaigns on behalf of older people, said the figures were probably just the tip of the iceberg.

It's now calling on the Welsh Government to create more No Cold Calling Zones around the country.

"According to the Citizens Advice Bureau only 5% of scams are reported," said Age Cymru's campaigns co-ordinator Gerry Keighley.

"We could be looking at as many as 50,000 scams and unwanted doorstep calls in one year in Wales and in a great many cases the potential victims were older people."

Age Cymru says there is a drastic need for action as awareness campaigns are not protecting older people.

"We believe it is time the companies who deliver the scams, such as Royal Mail, phone companies and internet providers should shoulder more of the responsibility," says Mr Keighley.

Man in critical condition after Newport attack

Gwent police say a man is in hospital in a critical condition following an assault that happened at about 8.35pm on Sunday evening at Methuen Road. The man, from the Newport area is currently in the Royal Gwent.

Officers say enquiries are on going into the circumstances of the incident. Anyone who can help police is asked to call 101 or Crimestoppers on0800 555 111.

Police appeal after saxophones go missing from Cardiff

Police want to identify this man after three saxophones went missing from a Cardiff shop Credit: South Wales Police

Police investigating the disappearance of three saxophones worth more than £1,000 from a Cardiff store have released a CCTV image of a man they want to identify.

South Wales Police say the instruments are a distinctive green colour. They were taken from Cranes Music in the city centre.

Advertisement

Latest crime figures expected

The latest crime figures for England and Wales are expected to be released today.

The previous set of figures released by the Office of National Statistics, showed a 6% decrease in overall crime against adults for the year ending June 2012, compared to 2011.

Lottery winner jailed for assault

Gavin Davies
Gavin Davies has been sentenced to 16 months Credit: ITV News Wales

Millionaire lottery winner, Gavin Davies, has today been jailed for 16 months after assaulting his 22-year-old girlfriend in one of his luxury cars.

The former professional cagefighter blamed the incident on the "strain" of becoming an overnight millionaire.

Today the judge at Swansea Crown Court described the incident as "a nasty and prolonged assault".

Davies, of Ammanford, near Swansea, has spent 86 days in custody since being charged. This will be included in his 16 month sentence.

Lottery millionaire faces jail

A lottery winner from Ammanford who beat up his girlfriend will be sentenced today.

Gavin Davies, 29, pleaded guilty to causing actual bodily harm, as well as a charge of common assault from December. The cage fighter beat his partner in a "prolonged" violent assault months after clinching a EuroMillions Millionaire Raffle win.

Davies toasted his good fortune with champagne at a luxury hotel after clinching £1 million in January. At the time he vowed to turn his back on cage fighting and transform his win into a much larger fortune.

TV extra Garry Suller died in "unrelenting and brutal" attack, court told

Garry Suller
Garry Suller had appeared as an extra in several TV productions Credit: Wales News Service

An actor in Dr Who and Casualty was beaten to death by a jealous love rival, Cardiff Crown Court has heard.

Televsion extra Gary Suller, 45, was allegedly killed in a bitter love triangle over 27-year-old Katie Gilmore - and the murder trial jury heard he wanted to marry her.

But the court heard she had another lover, Barry Bowyer, who "hated" Gary because he was afraid of losing her.

Bowyer, 38, allegedly broke into Gary's terraced house in Pontnewydd, near Cwmbran, and lay in wait for him to come home.

Prosecutor Peter Davies said: "Barry Bowyer and Gary Suller were not strangers to each other - they where both in love with the same woman.

"It was an prolonged, unrelenting and brutal attack where he inflicted gross and fatal injuries."

Father-of-two Gary appeared in Doctor Who, Casualty and other TV dramas often as a policeman or prison officer.

Bowyer, of Croesyceiliog, near Cwmbran, denies murder but admits burglary and manslaughter claiming he killed Gary in a "momentarily lapse".

The trial continues.

Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories