Live updates

Man dies after his fiancee was killed in house fire

A groom-to-be has died, just a month after his fiancee was killed in a house fire. Paul Ford, 49, was left devastated after his partner was killed when a blaze tore through their flat.

Samantha Thomas died in the flat fire in Cwmbran in May. Credit: Wales News Service

Paul managed to escaped the blaze at St Dials, Cwmbran, but Samantha Thomas, 29, died just days after celebrating her birthday.

Paul was pulled to safety by fire fighters. He was treated for smoke inhalation and made a full recovery. But last week he was taken to the Royal Gwent Hospital in Newport after choking on food and died.

The fire ripped through the flat and the roof of the building. Credit: ITV Wales News

An inquest into Samantha Thomas' death has been opened and adjourned, the provisional cause of death was given as exposure to fire. Police are continuing to investigate the fire on May 19.

Advertisement

Man released after flat fire death in Cwmbran

Credit: ITV Cymru Wales News

The 49-year-old man who was arrested on suspicion of murder after a flat fire at in Cwmbran has been released with no further action.

29-year-old Samantha Thomas died in the blaze, which happened on Tuesday.

Gwent Police officers are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding the fire but are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident.

Tribute to 'much-loved' woman who died in flat fire

The family of a woman killed in a flat fire in Cwmbran have paid tribute to her.

Samantha Thomas, 29, died in the blaze in the St Dials area of the town on Tuesday.

Samantha Thomas died in a flat fire in Cwmbran on Tuesday. Credit: Wales News Service

Samantha was a much-loved daughter, sister and auntie, who will be greatly missed by all of her close and extended family.

We as a family would ask for privacy from the public and press at this time.

– Family tribute

A 49-year-old Cwmbran man, who was taken to the Royal Gwent hospital with smoke inhalation, is now in police custody arrested on suspicion of her murder.

Man arrested on suspicion of murder after fatal flat fire

A man has been arrested on suspicion of murder, after the death of a woman in a flat fire in Cwmbran this morning.

She has been named as Samantha Thomas, 29 and from the town.

Samantha Thomas died in the fire early this morning. Credit: Wales News Service

Emergency services were called at around 6.30am to the fire in one flat among a larger block. The other flats were evacuated.

More than 30 firefighters, from seven apppliances, tackled the blaze.

Samantha Thomas was pronounced dead at the scene.

The fire happened on Shakespeare Road, St Dials, Cwmbran.

Advertisement

Neighbours: Cwmbran flat fire was 'like a horror film'

The scene of a fatal flat fire in Cwmbran this morning was "like a horror film", neighbours have told ITV News.

A woman was killed in the blaze at around 6.30 this morning, and a man taken to hospital with smoke inhalation.

Gaynor Haines said the flat was "absolutely ablaze", and she feels "so, so sorry" about the way her neighbour died.

Bobby Jones and David Leedham were both involved in trying to get other residents from the block of flats to safety, and described the experience as "scary" and "just horrible."

Neighbours at fatal flat fire 'woken by screaming'

Neighbours in Cwmbran, where a woman was killed in a flat fire early this morning, have told ITV News they were woken by screaming.

Our reporter Alexandra Lodge is in the St Dials area of the town:

Bron Afon Community Housing has confirmed it owns the flats where the fire happened, on Shakespeare Road.

Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the woman who died this morning.

We have found alternative accommodation for seven residents who were evacuated and will be offering any help needed by the police and fire service in their investigation.

– Bron Afon Community Housing spokesperson

Woman killed in flat fire in Cwmbran

A woman has died in a fire in Cwmbran this morning.

A man has been taken to hospital with smoke inhalation, after the blaze on Shakespeare Road, St Dials.

The fire ripped through the flat and the roof of the building.

Emergency services were called at just after 6.30am, to the fire in a block of four flats.

Gwent Police says the woman was pronounced dead at the scene, and the man taken to the Royal Gwent Hospital in Newport.

The other flats have been evacuated, and police and South Wales Fire Service are working to establish the cause of the blaze.

Cwmbran man fined over illegal home tattoo studio

A man from Cwmbran has been fined for operating an illegal tattoo studio from his home.

Torfaen Council say illegal tattooists or 'scratchers' damage the trade of professional tattoists Credit: PA

Adrian Lloyd from Hollybush was found to be operating from a converted garage, which failed to meet basic hygiene standards.

He was also found to be using needles which were past their use-by-dates.

Mr Lloyd, who was not a registered tattooist, pleaded guilty at Newport Magistrates Court.

He was ordered to pay more than £500 in fines and costs.

The council said illegal, unregistered tattooists, also known as scratchers, pose a serious risk to their customers.

As well as the potentially serious health implications, scratchers damage the trade of the many registered tattoo businesses that work hard to uphold the law and offer the best possible service to their customers.

Our advice to residents is that they should only ever use registered tattooing premises.

– Gwyneira Clark, Torfaen Council
Load more updates