Live updates

Cwmcarn murder plot pupils 'permanently excluded'

Two schoolgirls arrested on suspicion of conspiring to murder a teacher at Cwmcarn High School, have been permanently excluded.

The girls, aged 14 and 15, were arrested last week after concerns were raised about their behaviour.

Both girls were permanently excluded after the incident - they certainly won't be returning to this school.

– Caerphilly Council spokesman

Teacher praises school after suspected murder plot

Alison Cray works as a Maths teacher at Cwmcarn High Credit: Wales News

A Maths teacher at the centre of a suspected murder plot at a school in Caerphilly has praised the school for its handling of the incident.

Gwent Police were called to Cwmcarn High School on Thursday morning after concerns were raised about the behaviour of two pupils.

Miss Alison Cray, 46, had been working at the school for more than 10 years.

She said: "It was all handled before it got to me."I know very little about it. It all happened elsewhere and I wasn't directly involved at all.

"I've very lucky that I'm at Cwmcarn and that they have handled it so well. I've been working as normal and I'm fine."

A 15-year-old girl from Newbridge was arrested on suspicion of threats to kill, possession of a bladed article on a school premises and conspiracy to commit murder.

The 14-year-old girl from Risca was arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder.

Nobody was harmed as a result of the incident and the matter was resolved peacefully, police say.

The two girls have since been released on bail.

Cwmcarn High School is an 11-18 mixed comprehensive school serving the former mining village and its rural surrounding areas.

The foundation school website says: "The school offers the pupils a supportive environment and recognises the potential of all of the pupils."

Advertisement

Cwmcarn High head: School is 'committed to safety'

In a statement on Cwmcarn High School's website, headteacher Jacqui Peplinski said "concerns were dealt with swiftly".

The two pupils have been released on bail

"There was no risk to any staff or learner and the relevant support services were contacted as a precautionary measure."

"Cwmcarn High is a caring and safe environment and we are committed to everyone’s safety."

Cwmcarn schoolgirls were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder

Gwent Police say the 15-year-old girl from Newbridge was arrested on suspicion of threats to kill, possession of a bladed article on a school premises and conspiracy to commit murder.

The 14-year-old girl from Risca was arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder.

Gwent schoolgirls bailed after Cwmcarn school arrests

Two teenage girls have been released on bail after police were called to Cwmcarn High School, Gwent, following "concerns" about their behaviour.

The pupils, a 15 year old girl from Newbridge and a 14 year old girl from Risca, were arrested at the school on Thursday morning.

Officers were called to Cwmcarn High School on Thursday morning

"Officers were called to Cwmcarn High School at approximately 11:54am yesterday, Thursday 1st May, following concerns being raised about the behaviour of two pupils" said a Gwent Police spokesperson.

"Nobody was harmed as a result of the incident, and the matter was resolved peacefully."

Advertisement

Cwmcarn Forest Drive trees to be felled

Larch trees are susceptible to Ramoran disease. Credit: Peer Grimm/DPA/Press Association Images

Natural Resources Wales says a large number of Larch trees will have to be felled in Cwmcarn Forest.

It says an aerial survey in May this year revealed widespread infection by Ramorum disease. More than three quarters of the trees in Cwmcarn Forest are Larch.

So a large amount of the forest will need to be felled over the next few years to remove dead or dying trees that have been infected with the fungus-like pathogen Phytophthora ramorum, which causes the disease.

NRW says the felling is needed because infected trees produce airborne spores that can spread the disease, which is not harmful to humans or animals, to other areas and other tree species.

Council attacks 'lack of progress' on Cwmcarn High School decision

Caerphilly County Borough Council is accusing the governing body of Cwmcarn High School of taking too long to make a decision on when work to remove asbestos from the site should begin.

In April, the council announced that the school would reopen, with pupils taught in temporary accommodation on the site while the work is carried out.

The school was closed in October 2012 after the discovery of the material within the school buildings.

I would like to assure the school community that we are ready to move quickly as soon as a decision is made, but we are becoming increasingly frustrated by the school’s lack of progress and it now seems we must wait until next week for a decision to be made.

Time is fast running out and I would urge the school leadership to take decisive action before we miss our window of opportunity to get the work done in time,” he added.

– Nigel Barnett, Acting Chief Executive, Caerphilly County Borough Council

Decision expected over future of Cwmcarn High School

The school closed in October after a report found asbestos at the site Credit: ITV News

A decision is expected later over the future of Cwmcarn High School. Caerphilly County Borough council will hold a special meeting to consider whether the school can be kept open.

The school was temporarily closed in October 2012 after a report found high levels of asbestos there.

A recent survey recommended removing the asbestos and further work to make the school safe. This would cost around £1million.

The school and the governing body say they want to proceed with the work to keep the school open, but that the Councillors will consider a range of other options later today.

500 parents and pupils match through Cwmcarn

More than five hundred pupils and their parents have marched through Cwmcarn today in an attempt to persuade the local council to reopen their school.

Cwmcarn High School was closed last October after an investigation supposedly found dangerous levels of asbestos.

But two subsequent reports have argued that the building is "essentially uncontaminated", so parents now say they want their children back at the site. With more, here's our Valleys reporter Hannah Thomas.

Load more updates