Live updates

Funeral for pensioner Arthur Jones to be held today

The Denbigh pensioner had not been seen on the Greek island since June 18.

A funeral for pensioner Arthur Jones, who died whilst on holiday in Crete, will be held later today in Denbigh.

The body of the 73 year old was found by the Greek authorities in a rural location in the Chania area of northern Crete last week.

Mr Jones was on a walking holiday on the Greek island when he was reported missing on June 18 after the hotel he was staying at became concerned when he had failed to turn up to his airport transfer.


Global #FindArthur campaign launched

A worldwide campaign has been launched to help find missing Denbigh pensioner Arthur Jones. It was started by Lee Hadwin, who is an advocate for the charity Missing People, and Leah Roberts from Denbigh.

It's hoped people flying into UK airports will be able to help. Credit: Missing people

The 73 year-old pensioner has not been in contact with his family since June 17th when he was last seen on the Greek island of Crete.

North wales Police travelled to Crete to help with the search. Credit: North Wales Police

Arthur's son also Jeff travelled to Greece to search for his dad and people in Denbigh have helped raise around £20,000 to aid the search mission.

Key UK airports will be targeted in the campaign. Credit: Missing people
#FindArthur campaign has been launched. Credit: Missing people

Concern grows for Denbigh pensioner missing in Crete

Denbigh pensioner Arthur Jones has been missing for a week in Crete Credit: Family

Concern is growing for a North Wales pensioner who has been missing for a week on the holiday island of Crete.

Arthur Jones, 73, arrived at the Pardalakis apartments in Chania on Tuesday 17th June. He was last seen on Thursday 19th June.

Relatives said Mr Jones, from Denbigh, was a keen walker and may have gone hiking in the hills.

His son Jeff said the hotel he was staying at became concerned when he didn’t turn up for his airport transfer and discovered his room hadn’t been slept in since Thursday.

The Foreign Office has been informed of the disappearance of Mr Jones, who was on his own.

Ex-mayor loses appeal against sentence over bombs

A former mayor who caused a series of explosions in Denbigh today lost an appeal against 18-year prison sentence.

John Larsen set of three car bombs in Denbigh - one saw ball bearings smash the windows of residential buildings. Credit: North Wales Police

John Larsen, 47, was jailed at Mold Crown Court last October after being convicted of three counts of arson, one of causing an explosion likely to endanger life and one of possessing explosives with intent.

Larsen had prepared a series of explosive devices. Credit: North Wales Police

The judge then described his actions as "a sustained campaign of quite deliberate terror" which caused real fear in the town.

His lawyers launched an appeal to reduce what they argued was a "manifestly excessive" sentence, but it was rejected this morning by three Court of Appeal judges.

Nursing home fire

A fire at a nursing home in Trefnant, near Denbigh, has been brought under control, after it was tackled by six crews. Firefighters from St Asaph, Rhyl, Denbigh, Abergele and Prestatyn were sent to the scene after the alarm was raised just after 5.30pm.

All 31 residents were evacuated safely from the building. Staff from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service are working with the Welsh Ambulance Service NHS Trust to find alternative accommodation for the residents. It's understood the fire predominantly affected the roof of the building.


Former mayor was 'cold and calculating'

North Wales Police have welcomed the sentencing of former Denbigh mayor John Larsen saying the case showed how he 'betrayed the trust' of those in the community.

"This was a unique case. On one hand we had a man who publically presented as a pillar and voice of the local community who people went to for advice and comfort in a time of crisis; on the other we had a cold and calculating individual who quite obviously revelled in the attention he created for himself through the setting of improvised explosive devices in the Lenton Pool area of Denbigh.

"In the early part of 2013, the community of Lenton Pool was regularly awoken by a series of loud bangs. By April some residents were quite literally terrified.

"The community had been rocked by what became a series of explosions, culminating in the detonation of a metal ball bearing filled device causing extensive damage and firing shrapnel through a nearby house window. It is extremely fortunate that no one was seriously injured or in the vicinity at that particular time.

"During this period, John Larson came to the fore as a local leader and the community trusted him. He betrayed that trust in a terrible way and he now faces the consequences of his actions.

“We welcome the sentence passed today.”

– Detective Chief Inspector Andrew Williams, North Wales Police
Load more updates