Live updates

Man charged after 'threatening to kill police'

A man from north Wales has been charged with threatening to kill a number of police officers.

North Wales Police officers arrested Mr Hughes yesterday.

Thirty-three-year-old Craig Michael Hughes is alleged to have made the threats online during a conversation with a confidential help line based in America.

The defendant from Flint was arrested in the early hours of yesterday by North Wales Police, who had been contacted by the Hope Line Crisis Centre in the US amid concerns that he was planning a murder suicide by ambushing police officers after reporting a non-existent crime.

Hughes appeared from custody at a special weekend sitting of Flintshire magistrates’ court at Mold today.

He faced two charges of making threats to two members of staff at the crisis centre to kill a number of police officers locally. No pleas were entered.

It was Hughes’ case that he had been drunk, had not intended to kill himself and would not have carried out any threat to kill police officers, he said.

Mairead Neeson, prosecuting, asked for a remand in custody for his own protection and for the protection of the public, in particular police officers.

Magistrates remanded him in custody to appear before magistrates on Thursday.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Council chief slams Welsh Government funding cut

A council leader has criticised the Welsh Government's decision to cut £1.6m of funding to the organisation which represents local authorities. You can catch up on the story by clicking here.

The Deputy leader of Flintshire council, Labour's Bernie Attridge, has taken to twitter to voice his concern about the reduction.

Wrexham MP warns Magistrates' merger could be 'legally challenged'

Credit: ITV News

A decision to merge Wrexham and Flintshire Magistrates' Benches could have 'profound implications' on local people, according to Wrexham MP Ian Lucas.

Mr Lucas has written to the Lord Chancellor Chris Grayling, asking him to reconsider the proposal, because of the impact it would have on the Wrexham area.

The MP has been a long standing opponent of the proposed merger, and has made submissions to consultations ran by the Ministry of Justice.

In his letter to Mr Grayling, he says:

"This could have profound implications for Wrexham people - whether that is the court staff who face uncertainty over their jobs, the cost to all those involved in court cases having to make additional journeys to Flintshire, or indeed the impact upon our town's legal professionals."

"It is little wonder that the possibility of a legal challenge to the proposals is now being seriously discussed in Wrexham."

– Ian Lucas MP

A spokesperson for the HM Courts & Tribunal Service said the decision was made after consulting local authorities, Criminal Justice System partners and stakeholders, including local MPs.

"Following a local consultation, Flintshire and Wrexham Local Justice Areas were merged into one new Area.

"The merger was to make the best use of judicial, legal and administrative resources to improve the service for court users.

"It will improve the effective delivery of justice by increasing flexibility in dealing with cases and increasing the opportunities for magistrates to retain experience and their competence."

– HM Courts & Tribunal Service spokesperson

Four-year-old left home alone as mum went to work

A little girl of four was left home alone while her mother went out to work.

Police went to her home in Mold, North Wales, following an anonymous tip off to social workers.

They found the house in an unkempt condition and the girl was home alone with the front door unlocked.

Magistrates at Mold gave the mother a community order

The mother had gone out in the car to visit customers.

The enormity of what she had done had not dawned on her until later, Flintshire Magistrates' court heard .

She had since given up work and her husband has changed his working pattern her solicitor Bethan Jones explained.

The mother, who had no previous convictions, admitted neglecting the child in a way likely to cause her unnecessary suffering.

She was placed on a 12 month community order with supervision and she was sent on a "positive thinking" workbook programme run by the probation service.

The woman, who was ordered to pay £85 costs, was told by District Judge Gwyn Jones that due to her then working pattern, she "became oblivious to the risks" posed to her youngest child by being left at home alone.

Airbus admits safety charge over death of worker

Aircraft manufacturer Airbus has admitted a charge of failing to ensure the health and safety of its workers, after one of them was crushed to death at its factory in Flintshire.

Donald Williams, 62, died after the incident at the Broughton plant in November 2011.

Airbus employs 6,000 people at its plant at Broughton in Flintshire.

At Mold Crown Court today, the company pleaded guilty to the charge, brought by the Health and Safety Executive.

Sentencing was adjourned until 17 July, at Caernarfon Crown Court.

An inquest has previously returned a verdict of misadventure.

Load more updates