Live updates

National

Malky Mackay: 'I am no racist ... I am no homophobe'

Malky Mackay has insisted he is "no racist," "no homophobe" and "no anti-Semitic" after offensive text messages he is alleged to have sent were revealed.

The former Cardiff City manager said he was under "immense pressure" at the time the messages were sent, but admitted "it should not have happened".

Cardiff to LMA boss: "You should resign"

Cardiff City Football Club have called for the chief executive of the League Managers Association to resign.

Cardiff City
Credit: PA

Cardiff say LMA chief executive Richard Bevan's position is "untenable" following public statements from the LMA on behalf of their former manager Malky Mackay.

Cardiff says it was "reprehensible that the LMA should itself put out a statement which seeks to dismiss deeply offensive racist comments as 'friendly banter'."

We also point out that the LMA members have a ‘Code of Conduct’ incorporated into their managerial contracts. One of the requirements is “A Manager shall not use racist or other discriminatory language. A Manager’s behaviour should demonstrate to Players and other employees under his control that discrimination in any form is unacceptable.” We therefore find it entirely reprehensible that the LMA should itself put out a statement which seeks to dismiss deeply offensive racist comments as 'friendly banter'.

If that is the view held by the LMA, as appears from its statement, we consider that Richard Bevan’s position is untenable and we call for his resignation"

– Cardiff City Football Club

Click here for the full statement by Cardiff City FC.

Advertisement

Harry Redknapp: "Malky hasn't murdered anyone"

QPR manager Harry Redknapp offered a defence of under-fire former Cardiff manager Malky Mackay, saying: "He hasn't murdered anyone, he hasn't raped anyone and he is not a paedophile."

Harry Redknapp
Credit: PA

Mackay and his former head of recruitment Iain Moody are alleged to have shared racist, sexist and homophobic texts when they worked together at the Welsh club and has since apologised.

News that the Football Association was investigating the exchange prompted Crystal Palace to drop their interest in appointing Mackay as their new manager, but Redkapp does not believe these allegations "should finish his life".

Suddenly everyone is an angel, he made a big mistake the lad but it shouldn't finish his life. He is a good manager and I feel bad for what he has done but I bet no one is feeling as bad as him or his family today. I'm not condoning what he has done but show me someone who has ever made a mistake and I will show you a liar.

– Harry Redknapp

Redknapp wants to see Mackay given a reprieve at some point in the future.

It's not 'banter' - it's offensive, says Cardiff City

The League Managers Association has apologised for the statement it released yesterday regarding Malky Mackay, saying some of the wording "was inappropriate and has been perceived to trivialise matters of a racist, sexist or homophobic nature".

Malky
Rio Ferdinand is one of many to question the LMA's response. Credit: PA

A highly placed source at Cardiff City told ITV News that they are "extremely disappointed with the League Managers' Association statement, belittling highly offensive comments as banter."

Earlier today England star Rio Ferdinand tweeted to ask "Who wrote the #LMA statement???"

The LMA released a statement on behalf of former Cardiff manager Mackay on Thursday night after the 42-year-old Scot and Iain Moody were alleged to have shared racist, sexist and homophobic texts when they worked together at the Welsh club.

The initial statement said Mackay had been under pressure at the time of the messages and that he was "letting off steam to a friend during some friendly text message banter".

That statement has been widely criticised by anti-discrimination campaigners within the game, and the LMA today felt compelled to apologise for how the first release had been worded.

It is beyond argument that any comments that are discriminatory, even used in private, are totally unacceptable. The LMA remains absolutely aware of our responsibility to the game and to promote and uphold the highest standards of behaviour.

– League Managers Association
National

LMA's Mackay statement 'accepts racism as banter'

Stan Collymore has worked in broadcasting since his playing career ended.
Stan Collymore has worked in broadcasting since his playing career ended. Credit: PA

Former England striker Stan Collymore has described the League Managers' Association's statement which says Malky Mackay's offensive text messages were part of some "friendly banter" as being "f****** disgraceful".

The LMA released a statement on behalf of former Cardiff manager Mackay on Thursday night after the 42-year-old Scot and Iain Moody were alleged to have shared racist, sexist and homophobic texts when they worked together at the Welsh club.

Collymore tweeted: "LMA statement. F*****g disgraceful. Institutional acceptance of the "banter" of casual racism.

National

Rio Ferdinand questions LMA 'friendly banter' statement

Former Manchester United and England captain Rio Ferdinand has questioned a managers' union statement which defended offensive text messages allegedly sent by Malky Mackay as "friendly text message banter."

The former Cardiff City manager and ex-head of recruitment Iain Moody had been accused of sending "sexist, racist and homophobic" text messages during their time at Cardiff.

But a statement on behalf of Malky Mackay issued by the League Managers' Association has since been criticised by a number of parties including an anti-racism group.

Advertisement

Malky: 'Shocked and stunned' by message allegations

Former Bluebirds boss Malky Mackay has vowed to clear his name following allegations that he and former recruitment chief Iain Moody sent 'racist and homophobic' text messages to each other during their time at Cardiff City.

Malky Mackay
Credit: PA Images

This evening, the League Managers Association released a statement apologising on Mackay's behalf saying he 'sent a couple of one line texts that were...very regrettable and disrespectful of other cultures.'

It went on to say that those messages were sent in private during a time when Malky felt 'under great pressure' and was 'letting of steam to a friend during some friendly text message banter.'

Mackay also hit out at the timing of the release of the dossier as it was widely reported he was due to be offered the role of Crystal Palace manager.

Furthermore, the 42-year-old insists he is not responsible for sending any racist or homophobic messages:

It has never been alleged that he wrote any homophobic or sexist messages and he has confirmed that he did not do so. Further, there are incorrect and damaging suggestions that he sent a whole host of offensive and unpleasant messages that are simply not true and which give a grossly distorted and unfair view of Malky's involvement in this matter. Malky looks forward to matters being put straight in due course, following any investigation of this matter."

– League Managers Association

Read the full statement here.

Read more: Mackay and Moody centre of text message storm

National

FA confirms investigation into alleged offensive texts

The Football Association has confirmed it is investigating a dossier of alleged racist, sexist and homophobic text messages sent by football manager Malky Mackay.

Mackay is accused of exchanging the texts with Iain Moody when they were both at Cardiff City.

ITV News sports correspondent Ian Payne reports.

Read: Moody resigns from Crystal Palace after 'racist texts' claims

Mackay and Moody at centre of text message storm

Former Cardiff City Manager Malky Mackay and his recruitment chief Iain Moody are at the centre of a storm over allegations in a national newspaper of racist, sexist and homophobic text messages during their time at the club.

Today, Moody resigned from his current job as sporting director of Crystal Palace. Malky Mackay was a front runner to become manager there. But that's now been ruled out.

Meanwhile, the Football Association has confirmed it has received a detailed dossier of information from Cardiff City. Nick Hartley reports.

National

Kick it Out 'aware but not shocked' by Mackay claims

The chairman of football's anti-racism body says he is "aware but not shocked" by allegations that Malky Mackay and Iain Moody sent offensive text messages during their time at Cardiff.

Mackay was widely expected to be unveiled as Crystal Palace manager in the near future.
Mackay was widely expected to be unveiled as Crystal Palace manager in the near future. Credit: Peter Byrne/PA Wire

Lord Herman Ouseley said the FA should not hold back with any sanctions should the claims prove to be true.

These revelations are further confirmation of how football is tainted with racism, sexism, homophobia and anti-Semitism, and the culture which continues to exist throughout the game and in wider society as a whole. The reality is that these views are most dangerously held by those people in positions of power, and the football establishment knows and condones it.

– Lord Ouseley, Kick It Out chairman
Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories