Live updates

Inquest to begin into death of man at Withybush Hospital

Malcolm Green died after an operation at Withybush Hospital in June 2012 Credit: Martin Green

A three day inquest opens today into the death of an 82 year-old man who died at Withybush Hospital two years ago.

Malcolm Green's family say he became increasingly unwell after undergoing surgery for bowel cancer in June 2012.

They say staff failed to notice the deterioration in his condition and that he died of internal bleeding and organ failure because the surgeon who was supposed to be treating him left to go to a meeting.

The hospital have admitted "avoidable and unacceptable delays" in his treatment.

Inquest begins into M5 motorway pile-up

Tony and Pamela Adams, from Newport, were killed in the crash Credit: Family Photo

An inquest into the deaths of seven people killed in a crash on the M5 motorway will begin today.

Grandparents Anthony and Pamela Adams from Newport, died alongside five others in the pile-up in November 2011.

West Somerset Coroner Michael Rose will resume the hearing following the trial last year of firework contractor Geoffrey Counsell.

Mr Counsell, who had been operating a fireworks display at nearby Taunton Rugby Club, was cleared at Bristol Crown Court of breaching health and safety laws on the night of the accident.

During Mr Counsell's trial, motorists described the fog as being so thick they likened it to having a tin of paint thrown over their windscreens.

The inquest, which will be heard before a jury, is expected to last up to a week.


Inquest opens into fire that killed teenager girl

Police and fire experts are investigating the blaze where Emily Harris died. Credit: WNS

An inquest has been opened on a teenage girl killed in a fire while housesitting for her grandparents at their home in Aberdare. Eighteen-year-old Emily Harris was trapped inside the five-bedroomed home when the blaze broke out overnight at Plas Draw.

Her grandparents Keith and Ann Harris were away on holiday at the time but flew home after being told of the tragedy last weekend. Police and fire experts are investigating the blaze which gutted the £450,000 house.

Glamorgan and Valleys coroner Louise Hunt adjourned the Aberdare inquest pending a police investigation of the cause of the blaze.

Lawyers debate what should stay secret

Lawyers at the Gareth Williams inquest are debating what material should and shouldn't be released to the media.

A hearing heard how Scotland Yard objects to the release of certain material to the media because it could prejudice future criminal proceedings.

Barrister Caoilfhionn Gallagher, representing several media outlets, applied to the coroner for the photographs, video and documents, referred to in open court, to be supplied to the media.

Ms Gallagher did however agree that the implications to future criminal proceedings is one of the "central points" in the Metropolitan Police's arguments against release of certain material.

Read Crime Correspondent Jon Clements's article: 'Spy evidence so secret it's banned from court.'

Driver apologises after pedestrian hit by bus

A lorry driver has apologised to an inquest for waving a pedestrian across a road - just seconds before he was killed by a bus. Cement-mixer, Nicholas Morgan, said he waved the "OK" for walker Richard Taylor, 26, to cross a busy road.

But the inquest heard bridegroom-to-be Richard was hit by a bus because Mr Morgan failed to spot the bus. Richard died in hospital after being run over on his way to work in his office at an insurance company in Swansea.

He looked at me to see if it was okay to cross I looked in the other mirrors, there was a van and two cars in lane two. They went past and Richard looked at me again and I checked the outside lane. I suggested: 'Yes off to go'. He said "Thank you, no problem." But I didn't check my inside lane. There was nothing the coach driver could have done.

– Nicholas Morgan, speaking at the inquest

Swansea coroner, Philip Rogers, gave a verdict of accidental death saying, "It was a very tragic accident which has taken the life of a young man of considerable promise.

"It shows how a moment's lack of attention can lead to a tragic result."

Family of paracetamol death mother criticise police

Desiree Phillips was 20 when she died Credit: ITV News Wales

The family of young mother who died of drug poisoning have claimed police failed to investigate fully the circumstances surrounding her death.

Desiree Phillips, 20, from Llanelli, suffered liver failure after overdosing on paracetamol.

An inquest in the town recorded a narrative verdict today after concluding it was impossible to know what her intentions had been.

Her family have made a formal complaint to Dyfed Powys Police and are calling for her death to be reinvestigated.

They claim that potentially vital text messages that she sent and received before her death could hold the key to what happened.


Inquest into death of Llanelli mother

A young mother died after taking too many paracetamol tablets to help cope with pain following routine surgery, an inquest has heard.

Desiree Phillips, 20, was buying the painkillers over the counter and had upped her dose to "a few extra tablets" a day.

She was found unconscious next to a pack of the tablets at the home where she lived with her 11-month-old son.

Desiree was rushed to hospital where doctors diagnosed liver failure due to paracetamol poisoning.

The inquest, in Llanelli, heard Desiree died on August 26 last year after being transferred to Birmingham's Queen Elizabeth Hospital.

The coroner recorded a narrative verdict.

Desiree was using paracetamol for pain relief and may have been exceeding the normal dose.

But it remains unclear whether it was a built up or whether she took a large single dose.

– Carmarthenshire Coroner Mark Leyton