The judge criticised the Welsh Government's approval of charity funds as "frankly astounding"
Around 300 people have taken to the streets to demonstrate their opposition to health service changes in North Wales.
A man has been charged with two counts of attempted murder after two people were stabbed in Llandudno on Monday.
Wales Rally GB are launching this year's event which takes place in north Wales this November. The new route starts in Conwy and finishes in Llandudno, with the headquarters moving out of Cardiff to Deeside.
Wales Rally GB will be officially launched at its new home in North Wales later. Organisers announced last month that rally, which has been based in South Wales since 2000, was making the move north.
The rally takes place between 14th and 17th November and the new route will be announced at today's launch in Llandudno.
A former soldier who defrauded Conwy Council out of 125 thousand pounds has been sentenced to three years in prison. Christopher O'Neill set up a charity for North Wales war veterans called Forces for Good.
But he spent money he obtained for the project on his own lavish lifestyle, and a gambling habit.
The judge in the case said he was astounded that the Welsh Government had approved the project without basic checks being carried out.
A man who defrauded Conwy Council out of £125,000 has been sentenced to three years in prison. Christopher O'Neill set up a charity for North Wales war veterans called Forces for Good, then spent money he obtained for the project on his own lavish lifestyle, and a gambling habit.
Sentencing O'Neill at Caernarfon Crown Court this morning, Judge Niclas Parry said his crime was nothing other than "a sophisticated, high value scam, a wicked deception on the public purse to enrich yourself."
He said it was "frankly astounding" that the Welsh Government approved O'Neill's project without checking basic facts, adding that the case highlighted the importance of making checks when approving grants out of the public purse.A forfeiture and destruction order was also made on O'Neill's goods.
Conwy County Borough Council say that no budgets were affected by the loss of £125,000 in the fraud by an ex-serviceman.
In a statement following the sentencing of Christopher O'Neill the council said the circumstances had "been fully investigated through a rigorous internal audit" and that their external auditors had "carried out a thorough review of arrangements for managing grants."
– Conwy County Borough Council Statement
Conwy County Borough Council is extremely disappointed that it was amongst the victims of this despicable fraud.
The Council and its partner agencies aimed to assist former members of the armed forces who required particular help via the establishment of the Hotel Project.
When assurances sought from O’Neill were not forthcoming, it was Conwy County Borough Council that formally referred the matter to North Wales Police, and the Council’s Head of Audit was due to give evidence at the trial.
A man accused of defrauding a charity set up to help ex-service people has been sentenced to 3 years in prison. Christopher O'Neill pleaded guilty to two charges of fraud at an earlier hearing in January.
He was accused abusing his position at the charity "Forces for Good" by transferring £74,800 from its bank account in to his own. He was also accused of drawing on the funds to pay costs incurred by him during stays in hotels and guesthouses to the sum of £6,500.
A man accused of defrauding a charity set up to help ex-service people is due to be sentenced later today.
Christopher O'Neill admitted to two fraud charges in January.
He was given a grant of £125,000 from the Welsh Government for his charity 'Forces for Good'. At a previous hearing it was alleged that he went on a spending spree gambling heavily, running up hotel bills and buying a speedboat before being caught by North Wales Police.
Hundreds of campaigners against changes to healthcare in North Wales have taken part in a demonstration in Llandudno.
It follows a decision by the area Community Health Council not to refer the local health board's plans to the Welsh Government.
Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board says change is needed to provide safe and sustainable healthcare services.
Emily Gadd reports.