Thomas Sutton's family pay tribute to "kind, loving" son
Thomas was a lovable member of our family. We don’t want to paint a perfect image of Thomas because he had his faults like everyone else. He liked to have a drink, and just lived a happy life and enjoyed a good time with his friends and family.
Thomas had a kind loving nature and the people he did touch he would do anything to help them.
Thomas was an idol for his brother, sisters and nephews and he would look after them.
Thomas death has shattered us as a family. He is missed so much and there will always be an empty space that will remain in our hearts.
Pensioner death caused by bird's nest left in chimney
A chimney sweep has been fined £5,000 and ordered to pay £2,500 in costs after his failure to remove a bird's nest from a chimney flue led to the death of a Maesteg pensioner.
Phillip Jones, of Porthcawl, was sentenced at Cardiff Crown Court following a prosecution by the Health and Safety Executive.
The court was told that 73-year-old retired miner Derwyn Rees who lived in Llangynwyd, Maesteg, had experienced problems keeping his solid fuel fire alight.
Mr Jones, who has been a sweep for 25 years, was asked to sweep the chimney and carried out the work in September 2008.
The next day – Mr Rees’ birthday - his neighbours noticed his curtains were still drawn and found him dead in his bed. Following a police-led investigation an inquest in October 2010 revealed he died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Further investigations by HSE and a solid fuel specialist revealed an extensive bird’s nest inside the chimney.
They found that Mr Jones had encountered a blockage of the chimney while sweeping but did not check to see if his brush cleared the chimney pot which would indicate the blockage had been cleared.
In addition, he failed to carry out a proper smoke test after completing the job, give advice to Mr Rees on ventilating the property or give any verbal or written warning.
Mr Rees niece, Janet Jones, said:
“Derwyn’s death was an avoidable tragedy and has had a huge impact on the family. We hope this case sends a clear message to sweeps so that this sort of incident does not happen again and other people are not put at risk."