Joanne Thomas and her four-month-old baby Harper were found dead at their home in Merthyr Tydfil in July. An open verdict has been recorded.
A Welsh holidaymaker who wrestled a shark to save people on an Australian beach wins compensation for being sacked when he returned home.
Paul and Sian Foley have held a third funeral for their son Lee after it took more than 18 months for his body parts to be returned to them.
Police have released an image of a man they want to question after receiving reports that a man tried to grab an 11 year-old girl in Merthyr.
Police say the incident happened at Cyfarthfa Park on Tuesday at the Splash Park just after 3pm.
The girl was playing near the children's climbing frame and is said to be shocked but unhurt by the incident.
The suspect – who is reported to have run off into woods - is described as being between 30 and 40 years-old, around 5ft 10 with an average build.
He had a distinctive mark – possibly a mole – on the right side of his nose and was wearing a grey hooded top with black trousers.
– Inspector John Diffey
It is understandable that the community is alarmed – this incident causes us concern and we are a taking it very seriously. However, we are urging people to remain calm while we investigate the exact circumstances of what happened. Of course, parents should be alert to the situation.
Officers have carried out house to house enquiries and have also stepped-up patrols in the area.
The family of a schoolboy killed by meningitis are considering legal action against the hospital who gave him paracetamol instead of antibiotics.
His parents Andrew and Emma said their son had been 'let down' by doctors at Princes Charles Hospital in Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales.
In statement issued through their solicitor they thanked the coroner who ruled there had been 'gross failings' at the hospital.
Lawyer Zak Golombeck said:
"It is clear that the Paediatric Team at the Prince Charles Hospitals were not working effectively to ensure treatment was commenced as early as possible.
"In essence, they let Thomas down."
Mr Golombeck added that his law firm, Slater & Gordon, were 'now advising the family with regard to legal action.'
Cwm Taf University Health Board has apologised after '*gross failures' were made at one of its hospitals *when a 13-year-old boy died whilst suffering with meningitis.
Allison Williams, Chief Executive at the health board said:
“I would like to extend my sincere apologies to the parents of Thomas George Smith for the loss of their son.“This is an extremely sad case and we deeply regret that there were failings in the care that Thomas received whilst at Prince Charles Hospital.
“As noted during the inquest, the Health Board undertook an investigation which identified lessons learned and recommendations to ensure this will never happen again.
“A number of changes have already been made to address the failings identified.
“Following the conclusion of the inquest, the Health Board will now consider the Coroner’s findings and continue to implement the changes required to address any failings in service.”
A Merthyr hospital made 'gross failures' over the death of a schoolboy who was given headache tablets instead of antibiotics for meningitis, a coroner has ruled.
Talented football player Thomas Smith, from Hednesford in Staffordshire was taken to Prince Charles Hospital in Merthyr Tydfil complaining of six tell-tale signs of meningitis including a headache and a stiff neck.
An inquest heard doctors failed to diagnose the illness and start treatment with antibiotics for more than four hours. Thomas, who had been on a family holiday to Wales, never recovered from the infection and later died at the University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff on his birthday.
A coroner has now criticised the hospital, for failing the schoolboy in their duty of care.
Coroner Christopher Woolley said:
"The failure to administer antibiotics does amount to a gross failure of care.
"Antibiotics should have been given without delay.
"Where meningitis is suspected, it's essential antibiotics are given immediately. The need for basic medical attention in this form was obvious."
Mr Woolley said he was concerned about 'further deaths' at Prince Charles Hospital and ordered a report.
But he said it was not a case of 'neglect' and even if Thomas had been given antibiotics he would probably have still died.He recorded a conclusion of natural causes.
Two more people have been arrested after an elderly woman suffered a 'serious and unexplained' injury at a hospital in Rhondda Cynon Taf and later died.
South Wales Police has confirmed that two women, aged 58 and 62, were arrested on Thursday 18 June, on suspicion of assault and conspiring to pervert the course of justice, and have since been released on bail.
Tegwen Roderick, 88 and from Abercanaid in Merthyr Tydfil, died at the town's Prince Charles Hospital, after police said she suffered a 'serious and unexplained' injury at Ysbyty Cwm Cynon at the end of May.
South Wales Police says a 52-year-old women arrested on 13 June on suspicion of assault and conspiring to pervert the course of justice, and a 64-year-old man arrested on 16 June on suspicion of conspiring to pervert the course of justice are also on bail pending further enquiries.
Police have confirmed two people have been arrested after an elderly woman suffered a 'serious and unexplained' injury in hospital and later died.
Tegwen Roderick, 88, died at Prince Charles Hospital in Merthyr Tydfil on June 4 after suffering an "unexplained and serious injury" at Ysbyty Cwm Cynon, Mountain Ash, at the end of May .
A 52-year-old woman was arrested on Friday on suspicion of assault and conspiring to pervert the course of justice.
A 64-year-old man was arrested today on suspicion of conspiring to pervert the course of justice.
Both have been bailed.
10 employees at Ysbyty Cwm Cynon were suspended initially.
Six of the ten staff suspended as part of the investigation into the death of a elderly woman in hospital have had their suspensions lifted, the health board says.
Cwm Taf University Health Board's chief executive Allison Williams said arrangements are being made for those six to return to work.
– Allison Williams, Cwm Taf University Health Board
In investigations such as this, staff may be suspended as a precautionary measure. As is normal practice in any investigation such suspensions are reviewed on an ongoing basis.
We can confirm that six suspensions have already been lifted today and arrangements are being made for those staff to return to work. We will continue to review the remaining suspensions as the investigation proceeds.
South Wales Police says its investigation into the circumstance surrounding Tegwen Roderick's death is ongoing and a postmortem is being carried out.
A police spokesman said she suffered 'serious injuries' which are currently 'unexplained.' He added: "At this stage there is no confirmed link between the injuries and her death"
Four people are assisting officers with their enquiries.
Allison Williams, chief executive of Cwm Taf University Health Board, says she recognises there is public concern over the ongoing investigation. She says the health board will work with police to "get to the bottom of what happened."
– Allison Williams, Cwm Taf University Health Board
Cwm Taf University Health Board takes the care and safety of its patients extremely seriously. As soon as staff identified that there was a problem with the patient concerned, they acted quickly and appropriately. We are continuing to work with the police to do everything we can to get to the bottom of what happened.
We would like to emphasise that there is no suggestion that any other patients have been affected.
She added that anyone with concerns about the care of their relatives are encouraged to talk to ward staff who can arrange for them to speak with a senior member of the health board.
Cwm Taf Community Health Council says it welcomes the health board's 'prompt action.' Dr Paul Worthington, the council's chief officer, said he has spoken to the health board and been reassured that the delivery of services was unaffected.
– Dr Paul Worthington, Cwm Taf Community Health Council
We are aware of the fact that an unexplained injury was sustained by a patient at Ysbyty Cwm Cynon. This is clearly a very serious issue and our thoughts and sincere condolences go to the family at this very sad time.
We welcome the prompt action by the health board in initiating the multi-agency review process to consider what happened. This swift response was both right and essential.
We are aware that staff are being interviewed as part of the ongoing process of investigation into the incident, and it would not be appropriate to comment in detail until that investigation is completed.