Live updates

Soldiers died from 'overheating' pre-inquest hearing told

Corporal James Dunsby, Lance Corporal Edward Maher and Lance Corporal Craig Roberts died in July last year Credit: Ministry of Defence

Three soldiers who died while on an SAS selection exercise in the Brecon Beacons died from 'overheating,' a pre-inquest hearing has been told.

Lance Corporal Craig Roberts, 24, from Penrhyn Bay, Lance Corporal Edward Maher, 31, and Corporal James Dunsby, 31, from Bath, died last summer. They had taken part in a 40-mile hike in temperatures reaching 29C on 13th July.

The Crown Prosecution Service is expected to discuss whether to pursue gross negligence manslaughter with the soldiers' families and a decision will be made by the end of the month.

Witnesses at the time reported seeing soldiers on training exercise in distress and pleading for water in the Welsh valleys. A pre-inquest hearing in Solihull this morning was told the three soldiers died from the effects of hyperthermia.

£364m contracts secure 140 jobs at defence company

A company in Caerphilly county says it has safeguarded 140 jobs, after securing two contracts, worth a total £364m, to supply the armed forces.

General Dynamics, in Oakdale, will continue to provide support for a high tech radio network, and provide a new generation of light armoured vehicles for the Ministry of Defence.

General Dynamics also says the deals will secure jobs in the company's wider supply chain.

Welsh Secretary David Jones welcomed the announced as "testament to the skills and talents of the workforce in Wales."

"It is also further proof that, as part of our long-term economic plan, we are continuing to see encouraging signs of growth and recovery in the Welsh economy coming just before the Nato summit in Newport in September."

Advertisement

Homecoming parade for 203 (Welsh) Field Hospital

Crowds have gathered in Risca today for a special parade and medal ceremony to honour the 203 (Welsh) Field Hospital's homecoming from a tour of duty in Afghanistan as part of Operation Herrick.

  1. Megan Boot

Defence Secretary: 'Changes made' to military training

The Defence Secretary has told ITV News lessons have been learnt when it comes to military training exercises.

It follows the Health and Safety Executive's criticism of the way risks were assessed during an SAS selection exercise in the Brecon Beacons in July, which left three reservists dead.

Today Philip Hammond said reservists can be confident that changes have been made.

HSE notice: MoD contraventions 'likely to continue'

The notice served by the Health and Safety Executive says the Ministry of Defence:

  • Failed to make a suitable and sufficient assessment of the risks to the health and safety of employees, namely those soldiers participating in the aptitude phase in the Brecon Beacons on July 13
  • Failed to properly identify the risks associated with the activity and implement effective measures to control them, including those relating to heat illness
  • Failed to review the risk assessment when it became clear persons participating in the test were suffering from heat illness

The HSE notice went on: 'These contraventions are likely to continue or be repeated during the planning of, training for and carrying out of future selection tests of this nature'.

The Ministry of Defence has released a statement saying it will implement all of the HSE's recommendations.

Advertisement

MoD 'implementing all recommendations' in HSE notice

Our thoughts remain with the families of those who died on this exercise.

We have co-operated fully with the Health and Safety Executive inspectors and are implementing all the recommendations in the Crown Improvement Notice.

As the incident is still subject to a Police and MOD investigation it would be inappropriate to comment further.

– Ministry of Defence spokesperson

Health and Safety Executive statement on MoD notice

HSE has issued a Crown Improvement Notice on the Ministry of Defence following the deaths of three Army reservists while on selection tests on the Brecon Beacons in July.

The notice requires the Ministry to take action to deal with risks arising from its military selection exercises.

HSE continues to investigate the deaths, supporting Dyfed Powys Police which is leading the investigation.

– Health and Safety Executive spokesperson

Ministry of Defence ordered to act after soldier deaths

Craig Roberts, Edward Maher and James Dunsby died after falling ill during SAS selection tests Credit: Ministry of Defence / ITV News

The Ministry of Defence has been ordered to make immediate changes following the deaths of three Army reservists who fell ill during SAS selection tests on the Brecon Beacons.

Craig John Roberts, 24, Edward John Maher, 31, and James Dunsby, 31, all died after becoming unwell in July on one of the hottest days of the year.

The Health and Safety Executive has now issued the MoD with a Crown Improvement Notice, which requires it to take immediate action to deal with potential risks arising from its military selection exercises.

A joint Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and police investigation into the circumstances surrounding the soldiers' deaths is continuing.

Soldier in Brecon training exercise suffered 'multiple organ failure'

Corporal James Dunsby died on 30th July after collapsing on a training exercise Credit: MOD

A third soldier who died following an SAS reservist training exercise in the Brecon Beacons suffered multiple organ failure, an inquest has heard.

Corporal James Dunsby died in hospital 17 days after collapsing on Pen Y Fan on 13th July. Lance Corporals Edward Maher and Craig Roberts also died in the incident.

The opening of an inquest into Cpl Dunsby's death at Aberdare Coroner's Court heard that the 31 year old was one of six soldiers to collapse on Pen Y Fan.

Coroner Louise Hunt said a post-mortem found his died of "multiple organ failure." The inquest was adjourned until September. A full inquest into the deaths of all three men will be held at a later date.

Load more updates