Live updates

Murdered farmer was 'kind and unassuming'

Llywelyn Thomas was originally from Margam before moving to be closer to family in Cambridgeshire. Credit: ITV

The Crown Prosecution Service says a retired farmer, originally from Margam, who was murdered by two men who burgled his Cambridgeshire home was described by his family as "a smiling and likeable man who was generous, modest, kind and unassuming".

Llywelyn Thomas, who was 76 and had moved to be closer to his family, was in good health and enjoyed an active life until it was cruelly cut short say the CPS who issued a statement after two men were found guilty of his murder today.

“Mr Thomas’ family and friends have had to listen to distressing evidence during this trial and we hope the verdict brings them some comfort," said CPS East of England Deputy Chief Crown Prosecutor Frank Ferguson.

The court heard Mr Thomas was subjected to a brutal attack by two men who savagely beat him to death in his own home a week before Christmas 2011. Today, Frankie Parker and Gary Smith have been convicted at Cambridge Crown Court of his murder.

In court both admitted being in the house but each blamed the other for the death of Mr Thomas.

Men guilty of murder after pensioner 'left for dead'

Llewelyn Thomas, originally from south Wales, was found dead at his home in Cambridgeshire. Credit: ITV

Two men who battered a widowed farmer to death in his own home have been found guilty of murder.

Llywelyn Thomas, 76, was found dead in his home in December last year after neighbours became concerned that the lights had been left on all night.

Mr Thomas who was originally from the Bridgend area before moving to Cambridgeshire was set to have been subject to a "horrific attack ".

Gary Smith, 21, of Fen Road travellers' site, Chesterton,and his nephew, Frankie Parker, 26, of Nene Road, Ely, had both denied murdering Mr Thomas as they burgled the property.

A jury at Cambridge Crown Court found both men guilty of murder today after less than two hours of deliberations. They will be sentenced on Friday.

The court heard Smith and Parker had raided Mr Thomas's home but instead of leaving Mr Thomas unhurt, perhaps even bound upstairs, they set about a savage beating and he was left for dead on the upstairs landing.

Father-of-one Mr Thomas, originally from Cefn Cribwr had lived alone since the death of his wife about 10 years earlier.


Possible review of Welsh detective axe murder case

Daniel Morgan was found axed to death in car park of a London pub in 1987.

The Home Office says it's in discussions with the family of Daniel Morgan following reports that there is to be an independent review of the murder which could trigger a new inquiry.

The private detective, who was from the Cwmbran area, was killed with an axe outside a pub in Sydenham in 1987.

His family claim he was very close to revealing police corruption.

An estimated £50m has been spent on inquiries and investigations since then and his family continue to fight for the truth about why he died.

Despite five police investigations, nobody has ever been found guilty of the murder.

The Home Office says it hopes to make an announcement shortly.

  1. Hannah Thomas

Man to reappear in court charged with triple murder

A man charged with the murders of a family who died in a Cwmbran house fire six days ago is to reappear in court today.

Carl Mills, who's 28, was charged with the murders of Kim Buckley, her seventeen year-old daughter Kayleigh, and her six month-old granddaughter Kimberley on Friday night.

Neighbours battled in vain to save the family from their burning home in the Coed Eva area of Cwmbran but were beaten back by the flames.

A candlelit vigil has been held in their memory and a book of condolence opened in the town.

Carl Mills appeared at Caerphilly Magistrates Court on Saturday morning but spoke only to confirm his name, address and date of birth.

He was remanded in custody and will appear at Cardiff Crown Court later this afternoon.

Murder charge

In the last hour a 31-year-old man has been charged with murder following the death of Peter Lewis.

The 68-year-old was discovered at his flat in the Roath area of Cardiff in the early hours of Saturday morning. He was found with a stab wound and taken to hospital, where he later died of his injuries.

The 31-year-old man, who is from the local area, is due to appear at Cardiff Magistrates Court tomorrow morning.


Claude Road murder arrest

Police officers investigating the murder of Peter Lewis have arrested a 31-year-old local man on suspicion of murder. He is currently detained for questioning at Cardiff Bay police station.

South Wales Police are continuing to appeal for information.

Witnesses or anyone with information are asked to contact the incident room at Cardiff Central Police station on 02920 571530 or Crime stoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.

Family pays tribute to murdered 68-year-old Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis "made everyone around him smile", his family said Credit: South Wales Police

The family of Peter Lewis, who was fatally stabbed in the hallway of his home on Saturday, has paid tribute to him.

Peter’s sister and brother, Anne Wood and Michael Lewis, said: “Peter was born in a time when special needs were not addressed in the respectful way that we are now used to. He had a brilliant brain and an excellent memory, and went to school in Gabalfa, then Pengam in Cardiff."

“The little talent that Peter had, he used it to the limit; far more than an able bodied person would with all of their talent. Peter always used to say that disability is not inability.

"Peter was snatched from us so prematurely, but we know he is happy in heaven now. Even though Peter’s life was so full of pain and suffering, he always kept a smile on his face and made everyone around him smile too."

Mr Lewis, 68, died of a single stab wound following an incident at a communal hallway of his flat in Claude Road, Cardiff in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Police are still trying to trace a man who was seen in nearby Oakfield Street at between 1am and 3am.

Police name pensioner stabbed to death in Cardiff

South Wales Police have confirmed that a man who died after being stabbed on Saturday morning was Peter Lewis, who was 68. A post-mortem examination has confirmed that he died of a single stab wound following an incident at a communal hallway of a property in Claude Road.

A major incident room has been set up at Cardiff Central Police Station and the investigation is being led by Detective Superintendent Stuart McKenzie.

“At around 2.40am yesterday the emergency services were called to a report of a serious assault at a property in Claude Road.

“Officers immediately attended the scene where they tended to Mr Lewis before he was taken to hospital by ambulance where he sadly died.

“I am anxious that the person responsible for his murder is apprehended and would urge anyone with information to contact the incident room or Crimestoppers anonymously.”

– Detective Superintendent Stuart McKenzie

Police are still trying to trace a man who was seen in nearby Oakfield Street at around the time of this incident.He is described as white, wearing a light-coloured hooded top and trainers, and was running in the direction of Newport Road.

"Our thoughts are with Mr Lewis’ family who have our full support during this terrible time.It is understandable that the people of Cardiff, and in particular Roath, will be shocked and worried that such a serious incident taken place. I wish to reassure them that everything is being done to arrest the person responsible."

– Chief Superintendent Alun Thomas
Load more updates