Chapter 2 of my boxing career is underway. Looking forward to challenging myself in the cruiserweight division ....
– Nathan Cleverly
I’m ready to return and I can’t wait for November 30 at the Copper Box Arena and show that Nathan Cleverly is back.
I’ve got the hunger and desire back and I want to be a world champion again. I miss having the belt around my waist, but it’s not just about the belt.
I didn’t want to let my fans down, who have supported me in my career, my family down and more importantly I didn’t want to let myself down by going out on a loss, I knew deep down that I wanted to fight again and I just needed time to focus on what I wanted to do.
Nathan Cleverly has announced he's returning to boxing as a Cruiserweight
The 25 year old, from Cefn Forest, lost his Light Heavyweight World Tititle in August.
Cleverly will take on Australian Daniel Ammann at London's Copperbox Arena for the Commonwealth Title on November 30th.
WBO light heavyweight champion Nathan Cleverly will fight undefeated Russian Sergey Kovalev at Cardiff's Motorpoint Arena later this summer.
The date for Cleverly's next fight was announced earlier this week - 17 August - but his opponent not confirmed until today.
It's finally on! Fighting undefeated Russian K.O specialist Sergey 'Krusher' Kovalev, August 17th in Cardiff. #explosive
Cleverly's promoter Frank Warren says he has been in negotiations with HBO, who want to screen the fight, for over a month, but the Welsh fighter may now have to find another opponent to take on in what will be his second fight at the Cardiff venue.
We were hoping today to announce Nathan's next opponent for a fight that is due to take place on August 17.
We were hoping it would be against Sergey Kovalev. We agreed terms with HBO, who approached us with this fight in May.
Originally we intended to put the fight on in July. We were asked to put that back, which we did because Kovalev had to fight an eliminator last Friday and then moved the date to August 10. We booked the venue, then they asked us to push it back to August 17.
– Frank Warren, Nathan Cleverly's promoter
Over the last few days we have had conversations about applying for visas for Kovalev. I was on the phone until 5:30am to HBO.
They are calling in the Main Events people today to say you are fighting or not? So today we will know if Nathan will be fighting Kovalev.
That's the fight we want but if he doesn't want it we will find someone else
Kovalev, 30, is one of the hottest fighters in the 168lb division, knocking out his last five opponents.
Nathan Cleverly will make his sixth world title defence at Cardiff's Motorpoint Arena on August 17, but the identity of his opponent remains up in the air.
Cleverly, the WBO light heavyweight champion, had agreed in principle to fight Sergey Kovalev, but the IBF today ordered title holder Bernard Hopkins to fight the Russian after he became mandatory challenger following his knockout win over Cornelius White last Friday.
Kovalev must now decide whether he wants to take on Cleverly in Wales, or Hopkins in the United States next.
Welsh fighter Nathan Cleverly defends his WBO world light-heavyweight title against Germany's Robin Krasniqi tonight.
The 26-year-old from Blackwood admits he needs to be punching well above his weight to beat the man who's won his last 38 matches and knocked out the last four of his opponents.
– Nathan Cleverly
I've got to be on the top of my game. And to do that, preparation has got to be good. I've prepared well - and when I prepare well there's no one who's going to take that belt from me.
Caerphilly's WBO world light-heavyweight champion Nathan Cleverly is warning his Serbian opponent that he's well prepared for saturday night's fight in London when he defends his title.
Welsh WBO World Light-Heavyweight Champion Nathan Cleverly is back in the ring on Saturday night to defend his title.
The Caerphilly boxer told ITV News his opponent Robin Krasniqi of Serbia has great recent form and deserves respect.