Live updates

Properties demolished following Newbridge fire

The fire broke out just after lunchtime on Wednesday Credit: Malcolm Llywellyn

Caerphilly Council have confirmed it's to demolish two fire-damaged properties in Newbridge High Street, following a fire that broke out on Wednesday.

The decision comes following a structural review into the extent of the damage.

Works to demolish the buildings will begin today and are expected to be completed by Monday February 16th.

The road remains closed, but the council said access to pedestrians is still available, and that the town remains very much open for business.


Watch: Viewer's video shows Newbridge shop fire

Crews from Aberbargoed, Risca, New Inn, Abertillery, Caerphilly and Maindee are still in attendance at a large fire in Newbridge town centre.

It happened just after 12.30 in a commercial building on Main Street.

Both the police helicopter and ambulance service are in attendance.

The street is currently closed and 5 nearby properties have been evacuated as a precaution, although the fire is thought to be contained to one building.

Large plumes of smoke can be seen from the scene.

So far nobody has been taken to hospital.

Sorry, this content isn't available on your device.

Crews tackle large shop fire in Newbridge

Smoke from the fire can be clearly seen Credit: Philip James-Watkins

Firefighters are currently tackling a large fire in Newbridge. It's thought 5 shops have been evacuated.

South Wales Fire and Rescue team say there are currently around 36 firefighters and officers in attendance, including a police helicopter.

It's also thought there are fireworks involved in the fire.

Family mark anniversary of son's disappearance

The parents of a man from Newbridge who went missing a year ago today, say the past 12 months have been a living nightmare. Kyle Vaughan's friends and family marked the anniversary of his disappearance with a walk through Newport.

Gwent Police launched a murder inquiry shortly after Kyle went missing and say they're still fully committed to finding him. Alexandra Lodge reports.

Police 'remain fully committed' to missing man probe

The detective leading the investigation into Kyle Vaughan's disappearance says his team is "fully committed to finding the truth" about how he went missing.

Mr Vaughan, 24, known to friends as 'Jabbers,' was last seen at his Newbridge home on December 30 last year.

His damaged silver Peugeot 306 was found abandoned on the A467 between Risca and Crosskeys later that night. A major murder investigation was launched within a week of his disappearance.

This is one of the most extensive investigations I have worked on, and being a year on without finding Kyle is obviously extremely difficult and upsetting for his friends and family.

This is very much still a live investigation and we remain fully committed to establishing exactly what happened to Kyle a year ago today.

Someone out there will know what happened that night and I would urge them to come forward with any information they may have. They can do this by calling 101 or anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

– Detective Chief Superintendent Peter Jones, Gwent Police

During the investigation eight people have been arrested, and five released without charge. Two men, aged 25 and 27, from the Blackwood area, were arrested on suspicion of murder and are on currently on bail along with a 15-year-old boy from Abercarn arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender.


Friends and family of missing man raise £400

Friends of Kyle Vaughan marched through Newport to mark the anniversary of his disappearance Credit: Ian Cook

A walk held to mark the anniversary of the disappearance of Kyle Vaughan raised £400 for the Severn Area Rescue Association (SARA). Kyle's parents, Alan and Mary, were joined by friends and family for the Walk With Us march from Rodney Parade through Newport city centre.

Kyle's parents, Mary and Alan, with Commander Mervin Fleming of SARA Credit: Ian Cook

More than 200 hours of CCTV checked in investigation

Today marks one year since Kyle Vaughan went missing. Gwent Police has released details of the investigation into his disappearance. To date:

  • 1,800 pieces of property have been analysed including 180 mobile sim cards
  • Around 10,000 lines of telecoms (texts) have been analysed
  • More than 200 hours of CCTV footage has been checked
  • Over 390 statements have been collected
  • Five square miles searched around where he was last seen

Kyle's family are receiving ongoing support from specialist officers.

Investigation into missing Kyle Vaughan continues

Five square miles have been searched since Kyle's disappearance. Credit: Family / Gwent Police

Police say they're still investigating the disappearance of Kyle Vaughan, a year on from the day he went missing.

Kyle was last seen on the 30th of December 2012. Gwent Police launched a murder investigation and eight people were arrested with three still currently on bail.

Last month, an extended two-week search was carried out around the Newbridge area.

Load more updates