Live updates

Victim: Scoutmaster 'destroyed my life, stole my soul'

One of the victims of former Flintshire scoutmaster Martyn Tucker chose to read out his own victim statement at Mold Crown Court today, before Tucker was sentenced.

He said:

I was 12-13 years of age, and he destroyed my life. Looking back, I never had a chance.

This man stole my soul and set me on a path of self-hatred and self-destruction that still exists to this day.

I live in a kind of fog. I had my future stolen from me - I could never hope to a wife and kids.

– Victim of Martyn Tucker

Advertisement

Ex-scoutmaster given 12 years in prison for sex offences

A former scoutmaster has been sentenced to 12 years in prison, after admitting 26 sex offences against boys during the 1960s and 1970s - some of which were committed in Flintshire.

Martyn Tucker, 68 and from Chester, was also ordered to register with the police as a sex offender, at Mold Crown Court today.

North Wales Police said that Martyn Tucker had abused his position of trust. Credit: North Wales Police

Last week, he admitted 12 charges of indecent assault, nine charges of indecency with a child, and five charges another illegal sexual act.

The offences date from 1968 to 1978 when he worked as a scoutmaster in Flintshire, Cheshire and elsewhere.

Police appeal after Dolgellau explosion

Police were called to Fro Heulog in Dolgellau on Sunday evening

North Wales Police is appealing for information after a man was injured in an explosion in Dolgellau.

The incident happened in the rear yard of a property at Fro Heulog on Sunday evening.

The occupant of the property suffered serious, but not life-threatening injuries, and is being treated at a specialist unit in Stoke. Forensic investigations are continuing at the property.

DCI Iestyn Davies said: "The investigation is at an early stage and we are working with specialists to try and identify the cause of this explosion. Minor damage was caused to items in the rear yard of the property, but no damage was caused to adjoining buildings.

"This is very much an isolated incident but I would welcome any information from the public in Dolgellau about what happened."

Anyone with information is asked to contact North Wales Police on 101.

Police appeal following fatal road accident

Police are appealing for witnesses after a fatal road accident in Bodelwyddan.

Emergency services were called to the incident on Sarn Lane early this morning, following a collision between a pedestrian and a public service bus.

The pedestrian sustained fatal injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene.

There were a small number of passengers on the bus, one of whom went to Ysbyty Glan Clwyd with minor injuries.

The investigation into the collision is already underway and I would urge anyone who witnessed the incident or who was travelling along that stretch of road after 7.30am this morning to contact officers at the Roads Policing Unit on 101.

– Chief Inspector Darren Wareing

Advertisement

Owner 'distressed' after all five dogs stolen

All five dogs were taken from Betws Garmon. Credit: North Wales Police

North Wales Police say a dog owner is very distressed after all 5 of his pets were stolen.

Officers are appealing for witnesses and information after the thieves took the animals from Betws Garmon in Gwynedd.

The two bitches and three dogs are all crossed-terrier working animals and were kept by their owner in a kennel in a field adjacent to his property.

One bitch was found abandoned several miles away. Credit: North Wales Police

Investigating Officer Matt Tapping from Penygroes Police Station said the dogs were stolen between Monday 3rd March and Wednesday morning:

“The owner is clearly distressed because they were his pets as well as working dogs and as all dog owners will know each had its own character and personality and he is very anxious to get them back as soon as possible."

The animals were all working dogs. Credit: North Wales Police

Anyone with information can contact North Wales Police on 101 or anonymously via Crime stoppers on 0800 555 111 quoting reference RC14031976.

Missing man, 74, found safe in Glyn Ceiriog Valley

The 74-year-old man who was missing after he went waking yesterday in the Glyn Ceiriog Valley has been found safe and well.

A North Wales Police spokesperson said members of the North East Wales Search and Rescue Team found the man as he was making his way back to his car this morning.

It is believed that he lost his way while walking yesterday and bedded down for the night.

Pair jailed after Abergele pub death

Tracey Jones and Anthony Smith Credit: North Wales Police

A pub worker who killed a customer with a ferocious punch has been jailed for life.Anthony Smith will serve a minimum of 16 years in jail after being found guilty of the murder of Sam Blackledge.Mr Blackledge had been drinking at the Pen y Bont pub in Abergele.

Smith and pub manageress Tracey Jones returned from a night out to discover Mr Blackledge was being difficult after being refused a drink.Smith roughly threw him out of the pub where Mr Blackledge was attacked by Smith and Jones. But he was too drunk to defend himself.

Mr Blackledge died two days later from head injuries

Tracey Jones was jailed for two and a half years for manslaughter plus a further nine months for perverting the course of justice after telling witnesses to say Mr Blackledge had not been attacked but had fallen over.

Police forces face payouts over age discrimination

Officers from five police forces were involved in the tribunal

Five police forces, including North Wales and South Wales Police, could face paying out millions of pounds after a successful age discrimination claim by officers forced to retire after 30 years.

A number of test cases were taken to tribunal on behalf of 250 officers from Nottinghamshire, West Midlands, Devon and Cornwall, North Wales and South Wales Police, who were pushed out amid 20% budget cuts.

The officers were made to leave their jobs in the wake of the budget cuts, and claimed they were indirectly discriminated against because of their age.

In a statement, Deputy Chief Constable of South Wales Police Matt Jukes said: “South Wales Police is considering the judgment in detail with particular reference to a possible appeal. It would therefore be inappropriate for us to comment further at this juncture.”

North Wales Police said: "We note the decision of the employment tribunal and we are considering our position.”

Load more updates