A special memorial service has been held in Prestatyn to celebrate the lives of five people who were killed in a house fire last month.
Funerals will be held for the five people who died as a result of a flat fire in Prestatyn last month.
Melanie Jane Smith, accused of causing a house fire in Prestatyn that killed four people, is due to enter her plea in the New Year.
The mother accused of starting a fire that killed five people in Prestatyn says she wouldn't have it in her, and would never have wished harm on her neighbour's baby boy.
Melanie Smith is charged with the murder of Lee-Anna Shiers and Liam Timbrell, who lived above her, and three children.
Smith took the stand this afternoon to deny killing them by deliberately setting their flat on fire.
The defendant started crying in the witness box when she described the fire, saying she was "hysterical" and worried about the safety of her boyfriend, and others in the burning property.
During her evidence she denied being drunk on the night of the fire, and denies all charges. The court heard when interviewed by police she told them:
– Melanie Smith
I am not an arsonist and I am definitely not a murderer. I definitely did not start the fire in the flat. Give me a lie detector test. I will pass everything.
A woman accused of killing five members of the same family in a fire at their home in Prestatyn will face trial next month. Melanie Jane Smith appeared today at Caernarfon Crown Court via video link.
The 43 year old has previously pleaded not guilty to the murders of Liam Timbrell, his partner Lee-Anna Shiers, their 15 month old son Charlie, and Lee-Anna’s niece and nephew, Skye and Bailey Allen, two and four.
All five died in the fire at their flat in Maes y Groes, Prestatyn on October 19.
During today's 13-minute hearing it was announced that a three-week trial is due to begin at Mold crown court on April 10.
North Wales Police are appealing for information after a 26 year old was attacked in Prestatyn. Police say that around five men are thought to have been involved in the 'altercation' that took place on Seabank Drive this morning.
– Detective Constable Jenny Sansom, North Wales Police
At about 6.40am this morning, Monday 18th March an altercation took place between about five men in Seabank Drive, Prestatyn resulting in one of the group, a 26 year old local man, being attacked with a knife and sustaining ‘slash’ type injuries to his arm which, fortunately, are not serious.
Following the attack the man’s assailants, all of whom were dressed casually and aged in their 20’s and 30’s, made off from the area.
North Wales Police are asking anyone who may have witnessed the incident to call them on 101 or anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 and quote reference RC13041144.
A couple who live near Prestatyn are trying to get a change in the law after a retaining wall collapsed and killed their three-year old-daughter.
Peter and Lindsay Burgess want building regulations extended following the death of Meg in 2008.
Today the issue was raised in parliament. Ian Lang has the story.
The parents of a three-year-old girl who died after a wall collapsed on her are campaigning to include retaining and load-bearing walls under current building regulations.
Meg Burgess suffered 'catastrophic' injuries during the tragedy, which happened near Prestatyn in 2008. It later emerged in court that the wall had not been built to the standard required.
Lindsay and Peter Burgess have won the backing of Chester MP Stephen Mosley, who will present a Ten Minute Rule Motion in the House of Commons later on the issue of wall safety.
He said Meg's case 'serves to highlight the importance of proper regulation of the domestic building trade'.
Last October, 49-year-old company director George Collier, from Kinmel Bay, was jailed for two years after being convicted of manslaughter on the grounds of gross negligence following Meg's death.
The woman accused of causing five deaths - including those of three small children - after a house fire in Prestatyn has appeared before Caernarfon Crown Court today.
Melanie Smith pleaded not guilty to each of the five murder charges against her. From Caernarfon, Rob Shelley reports.
A 43-year-old woman has denied murdering five people after a house fire in Prestatyn.
Melanie Jane Smith, from Prestatyn, appeared at Caernarfon crown court via video link and pleaded not guilty to the murders of Liam Timbrell, 23, his partner Lee-Anna Shiers, aged 20, 15-month-old son Charlie, and Lee-Anna’s niece and nephew, Skye and Bailey Allen, two and four.
All five died following a blaze in flats in Maes Y Groes, Prestatyn on October 19 last year.
Judge Merfyn Hughes QC remanded Ms Smith in custody until a hearing on March 18. Her trial is due to take place in April. She also denied threatening to burn down a house in September.
People are urged to be wary of cold callers after several instances were reported in the Prestatyn and Meliden areas recently.
Police said on each occasion men and women called at homes saying they were collecting for charity. They asked for bank details and also requested to use the toilet.
– North Wales Police
“No bank details have been given on these occasions as all the residents were very aware of cold callers and called the police. But we want to reiterate the message: ‘If in doubt, keep them out’.
Here's news of one Welsh community that is guaranteeing itself a white Christmas. The community is Prestatyn and rather than just hoping for a few flakes of snow they've hired in special equipment to make sure they can enjoy it. Rob Shelley has been along to test it out.
A man in his 70s has died in a house fire in Prestatyn. It happened in Beverly Drive, Prestatyn, at around 10pm last night.
A joint investigation into the cause is now being carried out by North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, and North Wales Police.