Roger Lewis has been named as Chair of the City Region Board for South East Wales. Mr Lewis is Group Chief Executive of the Welsh Rugby Union.
Group Chief Executive for the Welsh Rugby Union, Roger Lewis, says one of the main objectives for the new Professional Regional Game Board will be to 'stem the flood' of Welsh players choosing to play outside of Wales.
A Professional Regional Game Board made up of four members of the WRU, four members of the Regions and an Independent Chair has been created in order to achieve 'strong, sustainable and competitive professional rugby at international and Regional level in Wales'.
The first meeting of the PRGB is scheduled to take place later this month and already eight definitive objectives have been highlighted;
- To underpin, support and maximise performance of the national teams
- To improve the overall financial management of the Regions
- To help retain senior Welsh internationals playing in Wales where appropriate
- To develop Welsh international players
- To achieve four Regions which can effectively compete at the top of European rugby within five years
- To support the Principality Premiership
- To ensure the continued support and development of the community game
- To ensure the continued sustainabilityof the Millennium Stadium
Speaking on behalf of the four Regions the Chief Executive of the Scarlets, Mark Davies, said