Live updates

Newport woman named after murder arrests

A woman who died at the Royal Gwent Hospital in Newport on Friday has been named as 45-year-old Sandie Hardman from the city.

A 23-year-old woman and a 44-year-old man, both also from Newport, were arrested on suspicion of murder and have been released on bail.

The exact cause of Sandie Hardman's death, at the Royal Gwent Hospital, remains unclear. Credit: PA

Gwent Police says, prior to her being admitted to hospital, officers were called to a disturbance at her flat earlier last Thursday evening.

The force is urging anyone who may have had contact with Ms Hardman in the days and hours before her death to call 101, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Two arrests after hospital death of Newport woman

Police were called to the Royal Gwent Hospital after a 45 year-old woman died. Credit: PA

Officers were called to the Royal Gwent hospital last Friday after a 45 year-old Newport woman died after being admitted for treatment.

The death is being treated as suspicious and two people, a 23 year-old woman and a 44 year-old man, both from Newport, were arrested on suspicion of murder and have since been released on police bail.

Gwent Police say post mortem results were inconclusive and further enquiries are being undertaken to establish the cause of death.

Anyone who wishes to speak to police and has any information should call 101 quoting 01 18/10/13.


Apology and compensation for a nine-year-old with cerebral palsy

A nine-year-old has won a multi-million pound compensation package and an apology in London's High Court. Harriet Riley was crippled by cerebral palsy after her brain was starved of oxygen during her delivery at Newport's Royal Gwent Hospital 2002.

Despite grievous handicaps which leave her reliant on adult care, however, she retains a formidable and sparkling character, and is known to friends and family as "smiley Riley".

– Louise, Harriet's mother

Harriet's parents, from Newport, were at court as Mr Justice Walker approved a settlement to be paid out by the Aneurin Bevan Local Health Board.

The settlement takes the form of a £2million lump sum, plus index-linked and tax-free payments of £325,000-a-year to guarantee her care for life.

Paul Rees QC, for the health board, publicly apologised to Harriet and family on behalf of the NHS for failings in relation to the management of her birth. But said there were "significant differences" on "other aspects of the liability arguments", taken into account when calculating the settlement.