Six appliances were called out to Caerleon Road, Maindy, just before 6pm.
Firefighters say the blaze spread to an adjoining warehouse. No-one was hurt.
The cause is thought to be accidental.
South Wales Fire and Rescue Service says around 25 households have been evacuated as officers tackle a fire at a garage in Abertillery.
They were called out to the commercial premises in Bournville Road at around 03.30am. The single storey build was well alight.
Police have advised residents nearby to leave their homes because there are four gas cylinders involved. Those evacuated have either gone to their families or to Abertilliery Leisure Centre.
Firefighters say oil and diesel which had been leaking has been contained. There are no reports of injuries.
A cordon surrounding a section of Queen Street following a suspected gas leak has been reduced.
South Wales Fire and Rescue Service were called to the city centre at 12.30pm after reports of a potential underground fault in a main utility line supplying the street.
Local shops were evacuated and the area was cordoned off to prevent public access into the area.
Wales and West Utilities say engineers discovered a fire on an electrical cable in the basement of a shop.
Fire officers remain at the scene as a precaution.
There has been disruption throughout the day but we have managed to keep that to a minimum. I’d like to thank the public and businesses in the area for their cooperation this afternoon. We evacuated the area for their safety and were able to implement it quickly with everybody’s full co-operation and understanding.”
Fire officers and gas engineers were called to reports of a gas leak at WH Smith in Queen Street today.
Cardiff's fire station commander Justin Jones said the combination of high gas readings and an electrical fault in the shop's basement caused a "perfect storm" and had to be dealt with immediately.
Parts of Queen Street were immediately evacuated including nearby shops.
The fire service says the cordon will remain in place for another few hours.
Emergency services are currently responding to reports of a gas leak in WH Smith in Cardiff City Centre. A large section of Queen Street has been cordoned off with shops evacuated.
#SWControl Crews are currently dealing with an incident in Queen St Cardiff please avoid this area at present JE
It's reportedly causing "major confusion" among shoppers and office workers this lunchtime, with people told to avoid the area.
Major confusion in queen street, Cardiff due to it being cordoned off by fire brigade
Firefighters say two people were taken to hospital after a vehicle hit a building in the Adamsdown area of Cardiff.
It happened in the early hours at Meteor Street. An investigation is underway and Meteor Street remains closed.
Central+Ely crews rescued 2 casualties following RTC involving car crashing into a building in Adamsdown at 00.40.
Update Adamsdown: The occupiers of the house were rehoused whilst structural engineers attended
A man was rescued this morning by firefighters after being trapped between a wall and a fence for seven in Cardiff.
A South Wales Fire and Rescue spokeswoman said the man had been unable to free himself from the confined space, near the Fox and Hounds pub, until a crew used some small tools to free him.
We do not know how he got stuck.
The ambulance service was later in attendance and the man was taken to hospital.
It is believed the man is now being treated for a suspected broken leg and dehydration at the University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff.
South Wales Fire and Rescue Service have rescued a man trapped in between a wall and a fence in Whitchurch for seven hours.
The man has been taken to hospital to be treated for dehydration and a suspected broken leg.
Whitchurch crew rescued a male trapped between a wall and fence on Old Church Road at 06.24 The casualty was trapped by the leg....
Update Whitchurch: And had been trapped for 7 hours before being spotted. Crews used small tools to free the casualty.....
Update Whitchurch: The casualty was taken to hospital with a suspected broken leg and suffering from dehydration
South Wales Fire and Rescue service says 18 caravans were destroyed and 13 others damaged in a fire this morning in Cwmbran.
Firefighters were called to Avondale Road shortly before 1am and spent over two hours at the scene.
Update Cwmbran: The fire fully destroyed 18 caravans and a further 13 suffered severe heat damage 2 jets 3hosereel jets+bowsers used
Firefighters are putting down their hoses and picking up their golf clubs to take part in an 'Urban Fire Golf' event to raise awareness of grass fires.
A conference was held in May to agree on new approach to help tackle the number of grassland fires that threatening communities across Wales.
As well as a television advert launched two months ago by all three of Wales' fire services to raise awareness of the dangers they can cause.
Children between the age of 8-14 will be able to get kitted out in fire fighters clothing and play on a specially designed golf course with their equipment.