A report from Assembly Members has told the Welsh Government that it must get involved in safeguarding Welsh television programmes. A committee chaired by Labour AM Ken Skates also calls for action on radio and newspapers. The main recommendations include:
- An independent forum to advise on media policy and the devolution of broadcasting.
- The current ITV Wales service to be the minimum requirement for the renewal of the Channel 3 licence.
- Opportunities for a Wales-specific Channel 3 licence should be explored.
- S4C funding should be kept under review
- BBC Wales political coverage should be kept under review, in the light of budget cuts.
- Continued support for community radio.
- The media regulator Ofcom to have specific Welsh language duties.
- Engagement with newspaper companies to provide a viable response to job losses and newspaper closures.