Live updates

Flags lowered as minute's silence observed in Senedd

The flags were lowered to half-mast outside the Senedd Credit: Nick Powell

AMs, Assembly staff and visitors have held a minute's silence in solidarity with MPs, who were also remembering those killed in the terrorist attack on Westminster.

It took place at 09:33, the same time as the minute's silence in the House of Commons. Meetings of Assembly committees were paused and the flags outside the Senedd lowered to half-mast.

AMs and officials paused for a minute's silence at meetings in the Senedd Credit: Senedd TV

We expect Assembly business to proceed as planned. Our security service and the police are working closely together. The police have increased the presence of armed officers around the Assembly estate and surrounding area as a precaution.

– Presiding Officer Elin Jones AM

'I thought it can't be for real, then I heard more shots' says Welsh MP

The scene in Whitehall, near Downing Street and the Wales Office Credit: Adrian Masters

Monmouth MP David Davies has described what he saw and heard as he walked close to where an alleged knife attacker was shot by police at the Palace of Westminster. He said he heard gunshots and ran for cover.

I was with Grant Shapps MP in New Palace Yard. We heard shouting, then we heard at least one shot -I thought it can't be for real- then more shots. We got down on the floor. I was behind a pillar, then I took a chance and ran back to Portcullis House [where MPs have their offices].

– David Davies MP

Mr Davies said MPs had now been moved to a different area but he wouldn't say exactly where he was. He added that the police were doing a fantastic job and his thoughts were with the officer who had been attacked.

Advertisement

Teenager arrested in Cardiff for suspected terrorism offences

South Wales Police made the arrest on Wednesday afternoon

An 18-year-old man from Grangetown in Cardiff has been arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences.

South Wales Police say he has been arrested under the Section 5, Terrorism Act 2006 for assisting in the preparation of an act of terrorism.

Police said that today's arrest was not linked to any immediate threat to public safety.

Cardiff man remanded on terrorism charges

Khuram Shazad Iqbal, 20, is accused of publishing inflammatory material. Credit: PA

A man accused of posting a string of terrorist publications on Facebook was remanded in custody at the Old Bailey today.

Khuram Shazad Iqbal, 20, also allegedly had ten copies of an Al Qaeda magazine on his home computer when arrested on October 8th.

It is alleged Iqbal, of Kings Road, Cardiff provided a service for others to obtain, read, listen or look at terrorist publications on a Facebook page.

Iqbal appeared in court via videolink wearing a white head cap and light coloured top with a long black beard and spectacles.

He is accused of publishing material to incite terrorism and possessing a record containing information useful to terrorism.

He spoke only to confirm his name during the 15 minute hearing. Mr Justice Sweeney adjourned the case until February next year for a plea and case management hearing.

Cardiff man who helped prepare terror has appeal dismissed

Omar Latif, now 29, went to meetings with the intention of helping others to prepare terror attacks. Credit: South Wales Police

A Cardiff man who admitted helping others to prepare for acts of terrorism has had an appeal against his sentence dismissed.

Omar Latif was jailed for 10 years and four months, with another five years on extended licence.

He was jailed in February 2012, alongside brothers Addul Miah and Gurukanth Desai, also from Cardiff, who plotted to bomb the London Stock Exchange.

They did not appeal their terms.

They were part of a group of nine, with others from London and Stoke, which met in Cardiff.

Advertisement

7/7 survivor wins fight to stay in UK

A man from Penarth who survived the 7/7 bombings in London, but then faced deportation from the UK due to a technicality over citizenship, has now, finally, won his right to stay. Professor John Tulloch says he's 'delighted' to now be granted British citizenship.

Professor Tulloch's bloodied face became the defining image of the bombings on 7 July 2005 Credit: ITV News Wales

He was born to British parents in India before independence. This only conferred a lesser British nationality, and, when he got an Australian passport in the 1990s, he inadvertently voided his right to live in Britain.

Now, after his story was covered and provoked a public outcry, he has been granted British citizenship. 'It has been an absolute nightmare. I've been trying for so many years to get my British passport back', he said. He now hopes to get a British passport formally by Christmas.

Professor Tulloch has been living in the Vale of Glamorgan for 13 years Credit: ITV News Wales

Men suspected of funding terror released

No further action is being taken against four men arrested in south and mid Wales in February on suspicion of being in possession of funds for terrorist purposes.

Officers from the Metropolitan Police's Counter Terrorism Command arrested a 34-year-old man and a 45-year-old man in Pontardawe, a 38-year-old man in Swansea and a 37-year-old in Ceredigion. All four have now been released from bail.

Load more updates