Soldiers from the Welsh Cavalry are set to work alongside troops from the United States and the Afghan National Army on their final tour. It comes as British troops look to a full withdrawal from Aghanistan by the end of the year.
The Welsh Cavalry have embarked on their final tour of Afghanistan. The tour will see them working towards the handover of control to the Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF) and the protection of the remaining ISAF.
The 1st Queen's Dragoon Guards (QDG) have started their final tour of Afghanistan. British troops are preparing to leave Afghanistan by the end of the year.
The QDG - known as The Welsh Cavalry - have taken over responsibilities from the 3rd Battalion the Mercian Regiment (Staffords), the 9/12 Royal Lancers and the 4th Battalion the Royal Regiment of Scotland in Helmand Province.
Defence Ministers have refused to appear before Welsh MPs looking into the MOD's plans for the future of the Army. As we reported a couple of weeks ago, Welsh Affairs committee chair David Davies had said he wanted ministers to explain their thinking about plans for the Welsh Cavalry:
However it nows seems the announcement itself will be made on Thursday, which might explain the ministers' reluctance to appear. It's also thought that the Welsh Cavalry will survive the cuts but it's strongly rumoured that a battalion of the Royal Welsh regiment could be lost instead.
The leaders of the Welsh Conservatives and Welsh Liberal Democrats have put aside political differences to express their support for the campaign to save the Welsh Cavalry, also known as 1st the Queen's Dragoon Guards.
The two leaders met regimental representatives and pledged to lobby UK Government colleagues. Andrew RT Davies, who heads the Welsh Conservative group in the Assembly, said:
And Welsh Liberal Democrat leader Kirsty Williams said:
Fears about the future of another part of the Welsh army have been raised by MPs. There's been a cross-party campaign by MPs and AMs to keep the Welsh Cavalry, also known as 1st the Queen's Dragoons Guards, in the UK Government's forthcoming plans to reduce the size of the Army.
But rumours that the Welsh Cavalry could be saved at the expense of a battalion of the Royal Welsh were raised in the commons by Shadow Welsh Secretary Owen Smith. Secretary of State, Cheryl Gillan, criticised him for spreading uncertainty when no decision had been made. This is what he told me:
His comments were backed by Liberal Democrat MP Roger Williams who told me he's had worrying talks with serving and former officers in the Royal Welsh who've expressed their concerns. And he says if a Royal Welsh battalion were to be axed, it could mean the loss of 700 soldiers.
Monmouth MP David Davies found cross-party support when he told MPs in the Welsh Grand Committee that he'd summoned Defence Ministers to explain their thinking about the future of the Welsh Cavalry at a one-off hearing of the Welsh Affairs committee which he chairs.
The Welsh Affairs Select committee is to hold a special evidence session into the UK Government's intentions for the future of the Queen's Dragoon Guards. There has been cross-party concern about reports that Ministry of Defence cutbacks will be abolished or merged with another regiment.
Committee chair, Monmouth MP David Davies said,
The Welsh Secretary, Cheryl Gillan MP, says she has already spoken to the Prime Minister about how she believes 1st the Queen's Dragoon Guards - known as the Welsh Cavalry - should not be cut in army reorganisation plans.