Live updates

Three wards at Wrexham Maelor to remain closed

exterior shot
Wrexham Maelor Hospital has had an outbreak of norovirus. Credit: ITV News

Three wards at Wrexham Maelor Hospital which are closed following a high number of norovirus cases are not expected to reopen until after the weekend.

On Friday Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board said 11 patients had shown symptoms over the previous two days.

Patients due to attend appointments and with symptoms are asked to telephone the ward for advice before visiting.

Anyone suffering from diarrhoea, vomiting or an upset stomach in the last 48 hours is asked not to visit the hospital.

Norovirus outbreak at Wrexham Maelor Hospital

Wrexham Maelor Hospital has suspended admission to three wards following an outbreak of norovirus.

It comes after 11 patients showed symptoms in the last 48 hours.

Health bosses say parents should not bring young children onto the wards at Wrexham Maelor.

Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board says it has put in place extra measures to tackle the outbreak.

Advertisement

Patients die of C difficile infection in North Wales

Seven patients who suffered from the C difficile infection in North Wales have died, during September and October.

There were 47 cases reported in October:

  • 4 at Wrexham
  • 12 at Glan Clwyd
  • 11 at Ysbyty Gwynedd
  • 20 at non-acute sites

Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board say they're working with Public Health Wales to understand all of the issues surrounding infection control and any issues that need addressing.

Man died minutes after being discharged from hospital

A coroner has called for further inquiries after a man was discharged from hospital in Wrexham, but then died minutes later.

Ian Diamond, who was 62 and from Dolgellau, had lung cancer.

Opening an inquest today, coroner John Gittins said Mr Diamond had been admitted to the accident and emergency department at Wrexham Maelor Hospital on 6 September, after coughing up blood.

Ian Diamond died minutes after being discharged from Wrexham Maelor Hospital.

After a check-up, he was told he was fit to go home, but only got as far as the cafe before coughing up more blood.

He was rushed back to the A&E department but died soon afterwards.

A post-mortem examination revealed he died of pulmonary haemorrhage, but the coroner said further investigations were required, as it was his duty to try to prevent future deaths.

North Wales health board: Low risk of transmission

The worker infected with Hepatitis C worked in the obstetric and gynaecology units at what was then Maelor General Hospital.

North Wales' health board says the healthcare professional infected with Hepatitis C worked briefly at Wrexham Maelor Hospital (known then as the Maelor General Hospital) in May and June 1978.

Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board says the risk of passing on the virus during a healthcare procedure is low, and could only happen if the worker suffered an injury causing them to bleed while treating the patient.

It says it has been reviewing its records, and obstetric and gynaecology patients from that time have been offered advice a blood test as a precautionary measure. Specialist clinic sessions will be held at Wrexham Maelor Hospital.

Andrew Jones, Director of Public Health for the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board, said: “I know that this news will cause some concern for patients who were seen in Wrexham at around that time. However I want to stress that the risk of transmission is low."

"Even so, it is important that we contact patients who were treated by this person and offer them support and the opportunity of a blood test. This will allow us to give reassurance that all is well or, if we do identify a person who is carrying the virus, ensure they get advice and treatment."

Advertisement

Advertisement

Today's top stories