View all 14 updates ›

Warning after 'accidental' 70 acre grass fire

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service are warning people to take extra care when in the countryside after a large gorse fire was found to be caused accidentally by campers.

Around 35 firefighters spent almost 12 hours tackling the 70 acre fire in the Cae Dafydd area of Nantmor in Gwynedd.

Every year, outdoor fires destroy acres of countryside and wildlife habitats, and tie up valuable resources which could be saving lives elsewhere. Vegitation is extremely dry at the moment and outdoor fires can spread quickly. Campers and walkers should avoid the use of naked flames and camp in designated areas.

– Gwyn Roberts, North Wales Fire and Rescue Service

More on this story