The 'Change 4 Life' campaign recommends lifestyle changes to help reduce the amount of alcohol we drink.
- You can still enjoy a drink, just have less
- Instead of a strong beer or wine, have one with a lower alcohol content
- Try adding a mixer to make it last longer
- Take a break between drinks and have a soft drink in between to help you stay hydrated
- Try only drinking at home with your main meal
Health experts say you will feel the benefits of drinking less very quickly.
- Feeling better in the mornings
- Having more energy and feeling less tired during the day
- Your skin may start to look better
- You'll start to feel in better shape
- You may stop gaining weight or lose some pounds
There are also suggestions of how to relax and unwind without having a drink.
- pampering yourself with a bath
- sipping a cup of herbal tea
- rediscovering your music collection
- catching up with an old friend on the phone
- walking the dog
- starting a new hobby
- going for a run, a swim or a bike ride
- joining a club, gym or five-a-side team
- treating the family to a day out
More top news
We look back at some of the stories, people and events that stood out in 2014.
Italian vodka, suspicious sediment and antifreeze sold as spirits are among the potential danger signs for shoppers stocking up on alcohol.
Any showers in the north will clear away quickly to leave a dry and bright day with plenty of sunny spells.