Cardiff's original airport, in Pengam Moors, opened in 1931 and operated until 1954.
The airport site near Rhoose village, in Vale of Glamorgan, opened as an airfield in 1942 and was used to train Spitfire pilots during the WWII.
1962 Main runway opened
1965 Ownership of the airport passed from the UK Government to Glamorgan County Council
1972 The new terminal building was officially opened by Prince Philip.
1986 The runway was extended by 750ft to accommodate Boeing 747 jumbo jets.
1990 Passenger flights topped 100,000 per year. 3years later reached 750,000
2007 Annual passenger numbers peaked at 2.7 million
2011 Bmibaby pulled its services from the airport
2011 reported operating loss of £319,000